HybridZ

Anyone Modified a stock LSx Truck Pan??

Hey guys. I wondered if anyone has cut and re-welded a stock LSx truck oil pan for use with a S30? I figure I need at least 3.25" inches removed from the sump to be at the same depth as a LS1 F-Body oil pan. My neighbor is a welder/fabricator by trade so the skill required isn't an issue and he owes me a few favors.

Assume I have the sump modified to be at 5.00" (vs the stock 8.25"). Can I modify the stock truck pickup, or would the F-body pickup be more reasonable to use?

Lastly, I know that I would lose some oil capacity. However if its less than 4 quarts (not including the oil filter capacity) I will have him modify the oil pan sump to add capacity toward the front of the sump (like the LS2 Y-Body pan).

I know some of you might be thinking, "why not just buy a F-Body or LS2 Y-Body oil pan?". Well, to be completely honest I think paying $250+ for a new or used OEM oil pan is a joke. So now I am considering a cheaper option that will serve the same purpose on a oil pan I already own.

Any help is welcomed and thanked in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

The pans are cast aluminum and are thus porous. Being used, oil has penetrated the aluminum to an extent. You'll want to have your pan boiled out to get rid of all the old oil that you can't scrub out so that the welds will stick.

Otherwise, go for it!

The pans are cast aluminum and are thus porous. Being used, oil has penetrated the aluminum to an extent. You'll want to have your pan boiled out to get rid of all the old oil that you can't scrub out so that the welds will stick.

Otherwise, go for it!

Yeah, I ended up getting a smokin' deal on a LS2 Corvette pan, so I won't be modifying the truck pan after all.

Thanks anyway.

Otherwise, go for it!

This is definitely true.

I had my truck pan modified for my 98 Sonoma LM4 swap and it was done by an excellent welder who had done it before. Mine "weeps" but never forms into drips and I have no concerns about it.