HybridZ

Phooph goes the ignition switch?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'll try to keep this short (har har).

I added driving lights and an air horn this Friday. While I was at it I decided to pull out my fuse box and patch the old burn holes as well as add a second fuse box for the additional accessories.

I used JB qwik on the holes and soldered a wire to the AC post and ran that to the second fuse box. Wired-up the accessories and One fusible link later (alternator to starter), no problem, horn blows and driving lights work.

But now the car won't run.

It's getting fuel. It's got spark. But once it fires-up and I release the key it dies. My first guess is the ignition switch isn't staying "on" after I release the key.

Here's why: Once I release the key the emergency brake light goes off and the fuel gauge drops to empty. When I start over (turn the key to "off" then "on") the fuel gauge comes up and the emergency brake light comes on.

B]Does it make sense that it's the ignition switch?[/b]

As an aside, I found a wire spliced with the Black/white wire coming out of the fuse box. It's has an inline fuse and is connected to a 10guage green wire that runs into the small harness at the passenger side kick panel. There was also a toggle switch (on-off-on) that was mounted to the console (underneath on the drivers side) it plugged into the harness behind the fuse box (wires are blue/red, blue/white and solid blue). It had a lead that was broken off but once I repaired it and flipped it on, the Dome light fuse blew! I unplugged it and took a pic. I would post it here but I don't know how. Anyway, I can't find reference for this switch anywhere. Is it be an aftermarket item?

According to my diagram (basic and late model S30 series)the B/W wire runs to a 20A fuse and then to ground and also to the ignition switch. The green wire runs to lots of things. The blue wires from the toggle switch run everwhere! gauges/ignition/door switches etc.

So barring the ignition switch, could this be some sort of anti theft device from days gone by that's somehow causing me grief?

Sorry for making a short story long (pun intended icon_biggrin.gif ) but maybe you guys have been there, done that.

Thanks for your time.

Jon

The switch may be from the Hitachi power trim for the radio antenna. Are you sure the JB quick isn't conductive, causing a short in your repair? I found a mysterious switch in my current car, but my last one still had the Hitachi, and no funny switch UNDER dash, was still in it icon_smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

Hi Mike, yeah I wasn't sure about the conductivity of JB Quik either, so I just made sure I kept it away from the other posts. The hole wasn't that big. So far so good.

Thanks for the info regarding the switch. I unplugged it and disconnected the spliced in wire also. Aside from starting the car, I turned on everything electrical and no smoking wires or blown fuses. I disassembled the ignition and I think it is the switch.

Thanks again.

Jon

Guest Anonymous

PS: The fusible link fried because I pinched that spliced-in wire when I screwed the fuse box back in. Also the same b/w wire it was spliced to looked like it got hot where it plugged into the ignition switch but it looks like it held up.

Jon