HybridZ

difficulty shifting.

GrenadeZ

1972 240z factory 4spd.

Has allot of difficulty going into first gear, almost all my weight is required. For reverse, I have to turn the car off and then slip it in otherwise it grinds like crazy.

Im a newb with transmissions so this is a learning experience. Im thinking of changing the transmission fluid. Is it possible the clutch is bad or needs to be changed.

*Possible related, I have a vacuum leak at the manifold of my 4bbl swap that is recent but im not sure if its related, ill plug it up and see if It helps.*

Ok from massive amounts of headache inducing reading. I have deduced that it may be a linkage issue or that the clutch is not fully engaging.

Well Im not sure how to fix either of those things does anyone have a link to a linkage adjustment? I let a friend borrow my hanes manual!!

The good news is, I have a fresh 5spd and r200 at home, bad news is homes is 2 hours away.

Thunder,

Sounds like the clutch is not fully disengaging. This is most likely either a clutch master cylinder or clutch slave cylinder problem. If I had to put money on it I would say it was the slave. You need to start by bleeding the clutch fluid out of slave cylinder. Change out all of the fluid so that you get no air bubbles while you are bleeding while repacing the fluid in the master.

Another possibility - but less likely - is that the clutch disc has rusted to the splines on the transmission input shaft. If this is the case, the transmission will have to be removed.

If it goes into gear while the engine is off, it is not a transmission problem. Stop forcing it, or you will create one.

Sam