HybridZ

Any python/php slingers out there?

Jesse OBrien

I've been mulling this idea around for awhile, and have seen it implemented to some degree or another in various places around the 'net. I need one or two other coders (preferably more skilled than I am) and I'll need a small team of testers to make it happen. It'd be nice to make this a non-profit type thing, but I suppose something else could be worked out if we need compensation.

The basic idea is simple: build a database of interchangeable parts between vehicles. As simple as that sounds, it's very difficult to populate and manage.

The data structure is obscenely simple, but the interface is a little more tricky. There needs to be a categorical structure for both make/model AND part type so users can quickly search for their car to find parts available, a part they have that they'd like to put into a car, or a specific component on their particular car that they'd like to replace. It's also important to implement 'howto' articles, along with a difficulty/cost rating of some sort.

Anyway, before getting too carried away with the idea, I'd like to see if anyone else here is interested in helping to pick this up and make it happen. I have a bit of code written in Django, but I'm open to using the Google Appengine (which is super-sweet, but the data structure is a bit funky) or just php, or I'd even learn Ruby on Rails if that's what you're good in.

Ideally, I want two or three other developers who can put in 10 solid hours a week. This shouldn't take more than a month to get to a working prototype, and then the database can be populated in a meaningful way. I'm open to any ideas/suggestions/concerns/etc that you guys might have. This is a VERY barebones description, I'll write up a more detailed design doc and a coding best practices doc if there's any interest.

I don't see a walkthrough on installing a shortnose r200 differential from a 1981 Nissan 280zx into a 1972 Datsun 240z. Hollander Interchange lists parts that are directly interchangeable. It would be community-maintained, rather than having some editors working very hard to do less. Lastly, it'd be completely free to use. All users would need to do is contribute when they see something wrong, similar to a wiki. This would simply be a wiki with a more complex data structure, better search, and templates for each view. Does that make sense?