HybridZ

Starter "issue"

Okay, you can tell I'm, making progress now - the car cranks! I had to swap the position of the "jumper" that I used when I put on the remote solenoid.

Today's weirdness - after cranking for a few moments the starter appears to disengage the flywheel but continue cranking. When I let off th ekey the noise is less than pleasant. If I only crank for a few seconds and let off the key before anything odd happens it sounds "fine". This is an OEM starter on a late model block, Centerforce T56 flywheel. No shims and I honestly wouldn't know how to install shims either - I've NEVER had this happen before (sigh).

Secopnd side question - I cranked it with no distributor installed. Only for a few seconds mind you and not more than a few times. I'm pretty sure the distributor should be in there to properly seal the oil passages - yes? I noted that when I let off the starter that I could hear compression leaking off - as expected. Except that I seem to hear it coming from the distributor hole?! Umm, that seems weird - why would I hear and feel some compression coming from the crankcase like that? Am I being paranoid? Engine was built by a professional reputable race shop so I have NO reason to question their work - just seems odd. Ideas?

As always, thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

Ok so this is what you get for using a chevy. icon_biggrin.gif

No, what I think is happing to your cylinder pressure is it's bleeding off like it should being the motor is not broken in yet. It would go to the crankcase first and come out the easest way.

I don't know if I would crank it much without the disributor in as that is what drives the oil pump. I don't know on the starter question, I also have not shimed any up.

[ July 03, 2001: Message edited by: Dp351zcar ]

Is this a new starter or a Rebuilt unit; I've had some rebuilt starter's do some pretty weird things w/the bendix's.

Also, what battery are you using-what compression is your engine. Compression, mild CCA battery & a wacky "stock" starter can create some head scratching (hair pulling) sometimes.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Guest Anonymous

Good point and something you'll want to get before you go for a start, get a oil primer rod (moroso makes one I know for sure, thats what I used) chuck it in the drill and pump it until you see pressure, turn the motor over a 1/2 crank and do it again, lather, rinse, repeat. You probably know this, its not different for Fords, but just thought I'd throw it out there for G.P.

Not sure on the starter motor deal, it may be that since the machining on the flywheel ring gear is new (and possibly has a few burs on the teeth that its hanging a bit. Also consider until the engine fires and kicks the bendix out of the flywheel it has to rely on just spring pressure to release from the flywheel. Shims usually mount between the block and starter (bolts go through them) to space it away from the ring a bit, sometimes they need em, sometimes not, you can usually tell one that needs them because of the awful noise they make when you crank it over (hard to explain the noise, but if you have heard a small block chevy start before you'd recognize it to be out of the ordinary... *shrug*).

Cool that you got crank though, thats a great sign, shoot man, just about time for that big dog to go bark bark bark! icon_smile.gif

Good luck on it!

Regards,

Lone

Ps: Compression in the lower end would probably be normal for rings not yet seating, all the compressed (air at this point) gas is just leaking by the rings which aren't sealing yet.. IMHO. icon_smile.gif

[ July 04, 2001: Message edited by: lonehdrider ]

Have a primer, and have run it a good bit to make sure that the lines and whatnot are full of oil for the big day icon_smile.gif Doesn't build more than about 25PSI with my big drill but that's okay (lol). Will try to find TDC and get that distributor in. Still don't have my last piece of fuel line or spark plug wires so no bark yet - MAYBE this coming weekend but if not I'm gone for a week afterwards(sigh).

I won't sweat the starter thing just yet. It's a GM rebuild so I guess it's possibly screwy but for aorund $200 you'd think they'd have done it right icon_mad.gif The compression bit makes sense too - whew, thanks!

Out to the garage to make vroom vroom sounds now icon_biggrin.gif

I have bought _new_ starters before that were screwy. I've also had a couple that were working fine, then sat for a few months and decided to just not.

Never had one not want to disengage though. Maybe there's no spring in there at all?

I can't think of a way that any kind of a wiring problem could cause this though - although I certainly wouldn't be the one to consult on wiring.

This is where buying parts locally pays off - if it's broken, or you even suspect it's broken, you just drive back to the store and get a replacement.

I had a rebuilt starter for an International P/Up 4x4 392/V8; it would engage-turn the engine & not release...even after the engine fired-I Hate That Sound!

You really wont know if it's the starter till after the engine fires up. If the starter disengages-problem solved; if it remains engaged-then you know what you have to do.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)