HybridZ

RB - Zed Tacho?

900ss

I've now got my 260z up and running with an R33 RB25DET engine but the tacho still needs wiring in

I want to use my stock 260z tacho (was points ignition not elec) and mate it to the R33 RB25DET loom

I've looked a various posts here but still cant see a deffo answer of how to wire it up?

Can anyone help?

put the insides from a more modern tach that is designed the more common negative coil hock up (this is what most ECU replicate) not the inductive loop from the positive side of the coil like the stock 240z/260z points tach. I believe a number have used the internals from a 280ZX with great success.

Cheers for the pointer.

I cant say I’ve seen any info on using the innards from a 280zx tacho?

I do have the matching R33 clock set, but didn’t want to go down that route yet

Maybe im looking for to much?

I was hoping that someone might be able to show how the stock 260z gauge could be wired via the RB ecu loom feed?

I assume it can?

Knowing very little about auto electrics doesn’t help

But if I had a diagram of a sort I’m sure I could find someone near me to replicate it for me?

What year is your 260Z? It may already have the 280Z style tacho that will accept a voltage signal from the RB ECU. You can also use the inductive (current sensing) style tacho if you power the RB coils from the same wire that provided power to the stock coil. This is what I am doing with my RB swap.

Pete

Pete

My cars a uk spec 1978 260z which is nearer the earlier 240z.

As far as I know the UK cars only ever had carbs and points ignition.

We didnt get the 280z as such so injection and electronic ignition didn't come out over here untill the later 280zx model came out.

Pics always help

This is the tacho I have

th_7df5cb34.jpg th_baac0b77.jpg th_3e6f4fc0.jpg

I've used the R33 RB25DET loom as per the sticky, so have a single feed from the ecu loom to run this stock 260z tacho

Edited by 900ss
pics added

OK, this is the early inductive type. So before getting a new tacho, I would put this on back in the car and then power the RB ignition system from the same wire that provided power to the stock coil. It should be a 14 or 12 gauge black wire with a white stripe. This should be the wire that is providing power to all of the RB coils. The tacho should work.

If this doesn't work then you can get the later 280Z (not ZX) tach and swap its guts into the 260Z housing. Then it should bolt in, and the tacho wire from RB harness should drive the 280Z tacho directly.

Pete

• 2 months later...

Been a while as other jobs to sort, but this is where i've got to atm

The 260z stock tacho is still wired to the factory loom (no mods)

It does work as the vid link below shows, but the needle dances and hops about?

Does it mean my stock tacho is no good for the RB, or can it be rectified?

Or is it that I need to rewire its feed ?

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/0703/900ss/260z/?action=view&current=revs1vid.flv

All help appreciated as its almost ready to roll :mrgreen: