HybridZ

Balance tube Explosion

Ok so when I bought my 240Z the car would not start.

So i replaced the spark plugs and wires and removed the SU carbs cleaned them real nice and put them back on the car. The car started nicely and i drove it around the block once or twice. The car was running really really RICH. The following day the car started up again no problem but then the 3rd day and now the engine cranks good and it smells like it is getting plenty of fuel but it wont start.

I replaced the ignition coil and took out one of the spark plugs and placed it on bare metal and got a healthy blue spark. I cranked the car for a while and the engine started for a second or two and then died again.

I lifted up the cylinder inside the SU's and sprayed some started fluid into the throat and tried to crank and car but it would still not start.

I was trying to tune my carbs and cranked the engine a few times and the rubber plug on the balance tube flew off with a lotta force.

IMG_0175mark.jpg

IMG_0177mark.jpg

Any and all help is welcome.

Backfire?

There's not supposed to be a rubber plug there. That's where the PCV valve is supposed to be located (well, on closer inspection it looks like yours might be theaded into the hole behind it).

Causes for it not starting could be any number of things.

Is the timing set correctly?