HybridZ

Swapping L28ET into S30 What parts to keep

Recently bought two S130 parts cars. One has a turbo engine in it. I am wanting to put that engine into my 73 240Z. I have read several good threads on swapping the L28et into my S30.

Are there other parts I should keep and use from the 280ZX cars? Some that would give better handling, etc. Like brakes, struts, diff, etc?

I did try searching for this info, but had little luck. I learned some from just reading other posts, but no real concrete data. Seems like a popular swap and a lot of people buy complete cars to get their engines from.

My 240Z will be a 2nd car, a fun driver. It will see some track time.

Lee

East Texas

73 240Z 5 speed L24

Yep pretty much the drivetrain. The rear brake calipers and rotors can be used for a rear disk brake swap. but you'll need special caliper brackets.

Keep the donor car till you get the swap running. Nothing sucks more than thinking you have all the parts you'll need and getting rid of the car, only to later have to go out and buy stuff you threw away.

Guest Rolling Parts

You might want the window crank handles, wheels, clutch master, brake master, larger radiator, fuel pump and filter, headlights, tach resistor, fuel pressure regulator, transmission, and really the whole extra engine block. Get a bucket and save EVERY extra bolt you can strip off the ZX too!

One oddball "keeper" I have from a ZX was the front crossmember. I made a rolling engine test stand with it a few weeks ago. Great for dressing out and running an engine before the engine gets swapped into a car...

My opinion, Keep anything and every single part you have room to store. I changed my mind on Turboing my S30 and bought a S130 to play w/ instead. Now I wish I had kept more parts from it.

Alot of the bolts will work.

That's some great info. Especially the front crossmember, never thought of that.

I'm not in a real big hurry to get rid of the s130, but the missus is.

But like you say, I will try to keep it till the 240 is complete.

Thanks again.

Lee

If others have even more tips, bring them on......I'm always up for learning from others.