HybridZ

Help. 280z window graft to 280zx

V8_DatZun

Can someone let me know if a 240z type quarter window will mate up correctly to the back of the 280zx window? (are they the same height). Also could someone please photoshop this for me so i can see what it would look like? Thanks in advance.

I'm debating doing this just because i HATE the 280zx windows. Also I'm debating welding it up like on my Signature picture. The only problem I see in this is my zx has t-tops.... so the window couldnt fit flush with the zx window due to structural issues....

Yes, but how many different ways can you say you want a 280z (260z 240z) window in a 280zx? There are quite a few combinations and sorry if i didnt pick the right wording to be able to pull it up... I'll search again though :wink:

*edit* Come to think of it i believe the post you are referring to is the one where the OP wanted to put reg 240 windows in his 2+2... which is kind of diferent from what I'm wanting to do. I just need to know if the back of the 280zx window is close enough to the same height of the front of the 240 quarter window and what it will look like visually...

He he that was me. In the end it was just too hard, too much money too much time and effort for little reward that would be hard to sell afterwards. The engineer said i would have to do major structural tests to get it licensed here in Aust. In the end it just made more sense to buy a 2 seater which is what i really wanted. I waited for a while and one came along. Now i happily moding and restoring that.

I think your idea is great and im not saying don't do it but just keep in mind the time, money and effort cost vs reward. However if its worth it to you do let anyone stop you.

I personally couldnt get over the ugly 2+2 windows and got a 2 seater in the end. Is a 280zx what you really want or did it just happen?

Mock up wise try photoshop but nothing bets seeing it in real life. I ended up getting a 2 seater window from a friend and mocking it up with card board and primer to see if i liked it. It looked good in a photochop but from different angles in the flesh it just didnt work. Im glad i didnt start cutting on impulse. Hope this helps :eek:

Yea.. thats kind of where i'm at. I originally wanted to weld the window up completely like my signature pic I had photoshopped, BUT... IDK. Without the other mods it just looks too funny. I believe maybe when I get the other mods done I may go back and look at deleting the window all together like i originally wanted. ALOT less work than trying to retrofit the window.

Thanks for the replies guys!

another way might be to do it how i think they do it on the ferrari gto body kits. Just leave the window there but put a flush fitting piece of fiberglass over it and blend in. doesn't mess with the car and achieves the look

Its a two seater 280ZX I assume. Seeing its a fixed window you could custom something different that would fit, probably be more practical to use plexiglass cut to shape in that case. Obviously the body metal will have to be reshaped to suit, not a simple job but doable.