HybridZ

Interior gas fumes ? 240z

Thumbed through numerous threads. Loads of information but no real cure so to speak. Seal this , seal that, hatch, gromets, etc, etc.

I drove with the windows down today in 90 degree heat for 45 minutes and have had a headache all doggone day. Can't deal anymore.

I saw a few suggestions and wanted to see if anyone used these and worked 100%.

1. Change tip on end of exhaust point sideways rather than out below hatch.

2. Divert exhaust comming out of sides before or after doors similiar to the shelby cobra's.

I don't really feel like dealing with all the hits and misses of looking for this or looking for that. This seems like the easiest and most viable option if it would work. Pictures of install would be appreciated as well to take to a muffler shop.

GS

Dont know if you have seen this yet or not...

http://datsunzgarage.com/probs/

EXHAUST/GAS FUMES EVERYWHERE

Beautiful car, but with terrible aerodynamics on the rear. The shape sucks up and billows exhaust around the back. Opening the windows causes low pressure in the car and sucks it in. These fumes are insidious and will find the smallest opening to exploit. Check these several areas:

• the gaskets around the taillights, seal with silicone rubber if needed.
  • check the thick rubber gasket around the rear hatch: slam the hatch on a piece of printer paper in different spots and try pulling it out to find gaps. You can find leaks this way.
  • make sure the both PCV hoses are connected. If you have ring blowby which is common on an older motor using a tiny K&N filter on the valve cover will vent all the fumes into the engine compartment.
  • check the firewall for missing throttle boots, gaps around heater hoses, sppedometer cable,etc. I had leaks around my A/C hoses which I found were pouring in air
  • while driving in cold weather open the driver window slightly and run your hand across the bottom of the door sill. There is a hidden rubber seal on the bottom of the door itself which could be leaky.
  • Secure and seal the vinyl panel on the inside of the hatch. The emblem holes in the hatch can leak.
  • If your rocker panels are rusted from behind air can filter in through the "swiss cheese" holes stamped into the door sills under the carpet and behind the vinayl 'dogleg' trim panels behind the doors. The left rear fender on some Z's has a rubber plug on the bottom edge which can also leak air in.
  • On early 240Z rear decks look behind the rearmost plastic side panels, there can be a precise 1/16" gap where the deck and fender meet, Datsun didn't appear to have used seam sealer. Mine were not rusted but I could actually see light from below. I used silicone sealer to seal them.
  • Sounds simple, but make sure the exhaust system from cylinder head to tailpipe isn't leaking. My header was cracked at the weld where it entered the exhaust pipe once.

If you have gas smell, check these areas

• If you have a 240Z, check the gas vapor tank behind the panel in the right/rear fenderwell, spend an afternoon replacing all the hoses with new ones. Make sure that the vapor tank is not cracked anywhere.
  • Drain and drop the gas tank and replace the 2 large vent hoses. But don't spend $$ for the old fashioned braided types from Nissan, just buy good quality gas hose from an auto store (if you can find the right width). DONT scrimp and use rubber heater hose, gas eats right through it.

Also, the outlet that T's off the rubber filler neck tends to crack on the inside edge (toward the car) so you cant see the hole.....

I have some of these gas/fume issues and found that old broken hoses are usually the issue... I found an article a few months ago on atlantic Z i believe about removing the venting system/making it simplier. I plan on doing this in the next few months

THANKS. i had not seen this link before. I think my car has EVERY one of those problems. Still have not figured out #3 on the right side of the fuse box and I don't drive at night either for this reason. I removed all four side markers and welded over for a clean look. I just unplugged the connectors and wrapped electrical tape around them so the solution given would not apply to me, I have to many other issues at the present and will work on that one later, LOL

GS