HybridZ

"Auto Seek" feature on 240Z AM radio?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Guys,

Can anybody tell me about an apparent feature on early 240Z AM radios that seems to be some kind of "auto seek" feature?

In a 71 240Z parts car that recently came in, I was amazed to see a feature work on a 240Z AM only radio that I did not know existed, some kind of station "auto seek" or scan feature. Pushing in the tuner knob would cause the tuner knob to turn mechanically (electric motor I suppose) and the dial to move back and forth across the face as if it were seeking a signal? Do you know about this feature? I had always thought that all Z car AM and early AM/FM radios were hand tuned only?

Hopefully Carl or Les will know the answer to this one

I collect as many early 240Z AM radios as I can, but have actually only had one original, working AM/FM radio in any of my own 240Zs and I do not remember seeing that feature before.

Eric Neyerlin

--

Eric Neyerlin of Z PARTS

P.O. Box 70506

Pt. Richmond, CA 94807 USA

Phone: 510-233-2624

----------------------------------

E-mail: parts@zparts.com HTTP://WWW.ZPARTS.COM

Guest Anonymous

I have a bone stock '73 240Z with the original AM radio (semi auto electric aerial etc.) but it doesn't have an auto-seek feature (mine is an Aussie car though). I remember my dad had a 260C sedan in the mid 70's that DID have the type of feature you are refering to. In fact, if my memory serves me it had a remote radio feature in the back for the rear passengers with the auto seek and volume controls mounted alongside the rear air vents. Great fun for the kids but quite the distraction for the driver icon_mad.gif

Guest Anonymous

Oopps, I lied. Cruising this forum got me thinking so I hosed my usual ride and drove the Z to work. The stock Hitachi AM radio does have an auto-seek function, it's just that I haven't used it before - sorry! It's kind of funky watching the little frequency pointer scrolling left and right icon_wink.gif