HybridZ

No welding, but still fabricating

So far, I've just been cutting some sheet metal that I got ahold of, but seeing how easy steel is to work with, I have a feeling this is going to get out of hand pretty quickly. I've wanted a welder for quite some time now, but never actually broke down and purchased one. I think I'm going to wait until after I move back to the East Coast (so I don't have to drive a welder cross-country, and so I'll have PROPER electrical in my garage).

Anyway, enough back story. It all started when I found a need for a block-off plate on my l28et, where the power steering pump once sat. I picked up some steel at a local machining shop (during off-hours, the awesome owner actually handed the keys to his front door over to me minutes after we met, awesome experience) for free (plus a little rust). I headed down to Home Depot to get a new quick-release fitting and hose for my compressor, along with a Die Grinder. I explained exactly what I was doing to their self-proclaimed "tool guy" and he told me to get a Roto-Zip, the granddaddy to the Dremel. :nono: In all actuality, it's just a goddamned drill. It's a piece of ♥♥♥♥ tool that I wouldn't use against my enemies. I actually ended up using my dremel with a cut-off wheel instead, and intend to return the shitty electric Roto-Zip and exchange it for a proper tool: a die grinder. Anyway, here's what I ended up with (still needs paint and I need to make a gasket for it):

2009-07-12%2013.00.43.jpg

Don't laugh, this is a big step for me! I also went ahead and started my switch panel to go in the dash. I may add media controls to this as well:

2009-07-13%2020.57.38.jpg

I'll post more when everything's painted, if anybody's interested in seeing my feeble attempts to start 'fabrication (minus welding)'.

Thanks for the encouragement, I just want to make sure I don't get in over my head and get frustrated. So far, aside from using this craptastical tool, it's been a great experience!

This piece of poo is NOT a metal cutting tool in ANY sense of the word. I already have a great handheld impact drive that'll drill through pretty much anything! Just so you know what I'm talking about, this is the rotozip:

Rotozip.jpg

Thanks for the encouragement, I just want to make sure I don't get in over my head and get frustrated. So far, aside from using this craptastical tool, it's been a great experience!

This piece of poo is NOT a metal cutting tool in ANY sense of the word. I already have a great handheld impact drive that'll drill through pretty much anything! Just so you know what I'm talking about, this is the rotozip:

Rotozip.jpg

i wondered about that too!

I would use what zr8ed is using on his air dam. Ill try to find the link. he makes some really smooth lines. A plasma cutter is also Ideal.

But I commonly Use my dremel with a small (1-2") diameter cut off wheel. Its flexibl and makes some pretty smooth cuts.

Edited by GrenadeZ
mispelling

Rotozip.jpg

Rotozips are GREAT for working on drywall and such. :icon14:

This is the first time I have ever heard of using one for steel. Wierd

Well done. The first projects are always the most duanting huh?

Just a wee tip on your block off plate. Throw that thing in a vice and hit it with a file on the edges. It will look better and remove the sharp edges. That way you wont cut yourself to pieces when you rub your hand past it.

Good to get moving on these things!

I cleaned it up a bit with a file (not as much as I would have wanted, but I'll get to that). I'd like to hit it with a belt sander if I can get ahold of one in due time. I also sprayed it with a bit of matte black, and made a gasket for it out of the rubber seat hardware covers.

Here's a picture of the finished product, for anyone who might be interested:

(block-off)

2009-07-19%2013.05.25.jpg

switch panel:

2009-07-17%2017.03.50.jpg

Thanks for all the great feedback, guys!

hey bud, I need to introduce you to the only store you'll ever need to visit.... harbor freight tools. You need to go in there and buy the following tools:

-2 x 4.5"angle grinders ($15 each), 1 for grinding wheel, 1 for cut off wheel or wire brush

-wire brush cups of various sizes for cleaning metal

-dremel tool with accessories. buy wheels elsewhere besides harbor freight

-3 lb deadblow sand filled mallet

- if you want to spring for it, a bench grinder is an incredibly useful tool when cleaning up edges of fabbed parts.

This should cover your fabrication needs :)

I used to go there all the time when I was in Vallejo. Now I'm in Oakland. No Harbor Freight anywhere nearby, as far as I can tell. Also, I'm doing all this work so I can get my one vehicle on the road. That means no long trips to pick up tools/supplies/etc. If you end up heading to Oakland, or even the meet on the 8th, want to stop by HF for me and pick up some supplies? :-D I can paypal or just pay you back when we meet, and it'd be a HUGE help for me.