HybridZ

removing power steering, 1981 280zx

gibbon

Hi everyone, I was just wondering how plausible it is to remove the power steering from one of these. As far as I understand, they all came out with PS factory, has anybody mucked around with fitting an s30 steering setup? I've got an rb20 powered 280zx and the power steering pump is fouling on my inlet piping, was just hoping to get rid of the whole lot (prefer the feel of non PS anyway). Cheers!

oh, really? for some reason i'd been given the impression that they were all power steered.. hope that holds true down here in new zealand (although odds are that most of ours are japanese imports rather than NZ new anyway)

sorry, but its 'stupid question' time - could you or someone else explain to me exactly what parts i need for the conversion? i'll probably have to strip it all out of a donor myself, dont want to leave anything behind. i've really done nothing like this before, so i would appreciate any help

cheers.

the u-join connection on the steering column is the same on all the 280ZX cars. Where it plugs in to the gearbox is where you start gathering parts.

The whole crossmember under the steering rack and including the rack and tie rod ends is what you need. Your steering column will slide into this unit and then bolt into your car under the engine.

There is a 1979 with manual steering locally in a wrecker... but its not right hand drive :D

What I did is just remove the PS pump and loop the lines at the rack that went to the pump.

It makes the steering kind of heavy, but not too bad. Then get the manual stuff later. So far, I have only have a manual crossmember. I think the mounting flanges are closer together for a manual rack.

Anyone know if manual gearboxes came in more than recirculating ball? That giant gearbox would interfere with my turbo for sure.

Have you still got your Z? I remember it being on Trademe ages ago. My Z didn't originally have power steering, we swapped it over in probably about 2 hours. It's not too hard to do, getting the crossmember out is the hardest part.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know if manual gearboxes came in more than recirculating ball? That giant gearbox would interfere with my turbo for sure.

No manual gearbox just rack for the 79 as posted

close.gifSavePlace.gifPrint.gifenvelope.gif Related Parts1979 NISSAN 280ZX 2.8L 2753cc L6 MFI (H) [L28E] : Steering : Rack and Pinion Complete UnitPriceCoreTotalAdvice.gifACDELCO Part # 3612101 MoreInfo.gif {#88990629}

GEAR,STRG (REMAN-RACK & PINION-MANUAL) FRONT PUMP* Non-stock item--shipping delayed up to 5 business dayscom.entigo.acdelcocatalog.servlet.ProcessImageServlet%3Flanguagecd%3DEN%26countrycd%3DUS%26user%3DInternetUser%26mfgname%3D%26prodlinecd%3D%26acpartnbr%3D36-12101

$215.79$55.00$270.79AddToCart.gif

I just did a power recirc ball to manual rack conversion a few months ago. Heres a pic.

Like the others said, you need the manual crossmember for it to work.

22812360232_large.jpg

Heres a pic of the difference between crossmembers. They look close, but won't interchange. The bushing sizes are different too.

22812360223_large.jpg