HybridZ

Started fabbing my air cleaners...

I should have my ZTherapy round tops sometime next week, so I went ahead and started making my own air cleaners for them. :cool:

The K&N part number I'm using for these is e-4518. They're 7" O.D. and 3" tall.

DSC00295.jpg

I'm going to copy and paste most of this from another forum I'm on.

Alright, got started on the air cleaners tonight. :cool:

On a side note.......it's been so long since I fabbed something, I forgot how much fun it is! :lol:

The mess I'm working in..........

DSC00296.jpg

By the way, all you fabricators out there, if you don't have a hand operated shear, GET ONE! I got this one for under $100 on ebay, and it has been a life saver. It cuts this 16 gauge like butter. :cool:

A little decoration.....

DSC00297.jpg

Not really any purpose in it, other than adding a tiny bit more rigidity to the lid, but it's gonna look awesome painted black with the Z logo in the middle. :cool:

Plug welded from the back

DSC00298.jpg

I'm hoping to get this one finished up, primed, and painted tonight. That might be a little ambitious though.....

:D

Alright, I didn't quite get it finished tonight, but I got 80% of the fabbing done anyway.

DSC00301.jpg

DSC00302.jpg

I would have finished this one tonight if Wal-Mart carried hole saws capable of cutting metal. :icon53: Too bad Home Depot isn't 24/7. :lol: I still have to cut the hole for the throat of the carb and weld in a 1/4" hose barb to the base plate for the fuel bowl vent hose. (Thanks to Bruce for telling me about the bowl vent hose! It would have sucked to have them all painted and then realize that. :icon13:) Gotta do a little bodywork on em, then primer and paint!

Then...............do it all over again. :lol:

Also, I haven't decided between wing nuts or acorn nuts for the hold down studs. Wing nuts would be way more functional for ease of removal, but they look pretty bulky and awkward on these small air cleaners. I'll probably just keep a cheap wrench in the glovebox for the acorns.

I'm pretty happy with em so far.

Whatcha think? :D

Looks great, did you cut those circles with that shear? Impressive. The only thing I can cut a decent circle with is a router and a circle jig LOL.

I prefer the acorns.

Yep, cut the circles with the shear. It was pretty tedious, but I was surprised at how smooth it cuts. Just a little finishing with a file, and they're good to go. :D

I'm gonna go buy a 1 3/4" hole saw (hopefully) from Home Depot so I can finish this one up and get it painted. I'll have more pics tonight.

Thanks guys! :cool: They are painted and dry, but I'm not happy with the finish. I used that hammertone paint but it didn't really...........hammertone. :lol: I still want to do something different other than straight black. I'll figure out something and post up some pics. :wink:

Fully buffed with the Z decal applied. Not bad for spray paint, aye? :D

DSC00317.jpg

That's all I did on it today. :lol: Probably not gonna get a lot done the rest of the week either. I'll be out of town for a few days, but hopefully it will be running in a couple more weeks or less! :cool:

Wow, that is awesome work! I would also go with the acorn nuts, they look very clean. I know you mentioned hammertone paint, but it was unclear as to what you ultimately used. Do you mind telling us what paint you used? It looks great!