HybridZ

My 77 build thread

:disclaimer: this is a direct copy and paste of a thread i started on another forum, so if the timeline is off in the beginning posts thats why...

I, as of today, am the proud owner of a 1977 Datsun 280z. it doesn't run, but it should with just a little bit of work... the body is really clean, not badly rusted, the interior is dirty, but complete and all original. actually, with some towels and water and simple green, the whole interior, minus the carpet, should come out very nice... i have a feeling the electrical is going to give me problems, and it will need one fender, or a decent patch welded in. also, i will probably paint it, i'm thinking a light metallic blue. updates should come rather quickly, a couple a week maybe, and it will hopefully be completely original.. as it is, its all matching vins..

PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P1015547.jpg

P1015542.jpg

its really dirty. but when i tow it to my house, i'll wash it and take some pics. all of the mildew comes off with ease...and underneath it all is a khaki color that really held up pretty good over the years.

P1015550.jpg

P1015552.jpg

P1015555.jpg

P1015561.jpg

Thats the meat and potatoes...

P1015559.jpg

P1015560.jpg

love that reverse hood...

P1015581.jpg

the only bad rust spot...

P1015573.jpg

still has the weather shield in the gas fill...

P1015592.jpg

and has every hubcap, and center cap...

opinions?

Ok, update time again...

since i got the car to my house, i have been out of town. i got back today, and started tearing it apart. started with the seats. got them out and cleaned them up...

P1015647.jpg

P1015648.jpg

P1015649.jpg

P1015650.jpg

Ta Da !!!!!!! i think they look very good. cleaned up very nice, and of course, they're not done yet, i want to clean the mounts, and paint them satin black. right now they are covered in surface rust, and thats just not the quality i'm looking for in this car.

then i proceeded to start tearing out that ugly ass carpet, that absolutely reeked of mold and mildew...that was not fun... add to that how old and brittle it was, it broke when i tried to pick it up, and it got dusty. not fun...

i started with the drivers side stabbed around with a screwdriver... i've never had to do that before, so i stabbed too hard, and went through metal....i'm dumb. it wasn't rust, just sheet metal. oh well, its a very easy fix... plus, theres no rust in the drivers side at all!!! i was thrilled.

P1015632.jpg

P1015633.jpg

P1015634.jpg

P1015635.jpg

P1015637.jpg

so then i went all gung ho on the passenger side, and i find this ... :(

P1015641.jpg

P1015643.jpg

NOT MY FOOT!!!!! MY GF TOOK THESE PICS.

P1015644.jpg

P1015646.jpg

i'm a little down about this to say the least. its really freaking bad. its in the frame and crap. i know i can box up that portion of the frame, and weld in a new floor pan, but its still a pain in the ass. oh well its the only part of the car thats like this. i'll deal with it.

moving on from there, i started wiping down some stuff inside, getting some spider webs and such out, and its looking decent. the dash is cracked, but it is in like 90% of the z's as i understand. theres alot of stuff within the car that i think alot of other cars are missing. its really very complete.

P1015639.jpg

after that i pulled the fuel pump. no pics of that, but after testing it, i've found that it no longer works. it wont turn on at all. also, the gas that was in the tank and the lines has separated and turned to gel. that means all new lines are in the works, along with a new pump. i'll probably be picking that stuff up tomorrow... also i need an ignition switch.

hopefully in the next few days, i'll be able to get the entire tank out and take it to the radiator shop that will wash it and re-coat the inside of the tank for me. evidently this place will do it for cheaper than a diy kit will cost me. we shall see. oh and i have a flat tire before i even get to drive it...awesome..

heres some pics of the over all awesomeness that is this car...

P1015624.jpg

P1015626.jpg

P1015627.jpg

P1015657.jpg