HybridZ

I need your help badly...not starting.

7MGFORCE

Okay so again it's a early 74 260z with mustang 5.0 motor from a 90 with t5.

It cranks but won't start. It would "pop" once in a while but no go.

1. New battery, new 85 carb dizzy, new pugs.

2. There's fuel as I can see it come out when I open the trottle.

3. There's spark. Sort off. When I use a check light it would read the spark but it seems like 7 weak spark and 1 good spark. When I use the screw driver check using the main wire of could only one spark would jump then a long pause and then 1 more when there should be an almost contious spark.

What could be causing this? I used a gm module so on the ballast resistor I used the wire that has possitive when key is on and connected it to the + coil. This bypassing the ballast.

Are you sure the distributor is stabbed into the right position? A popping noise could be the distributor being off, or maybe the timing.

Yes I use the number one spark plug test thing. And I even tried it 180 degrees and the same thing. I tried starting at base of 0 and 10 degree using a timing light.

I really thing it is bc of the really weak spark as states on my post. But what would make it act so that only one of 8 spark is a good spark?

Are you sure the distributor is stabbed into the right position? A popping noise could be the distributor being off, or maybe the timing.

Yes I use the number one spark plug test thing. And I even tried it 180 degrees and the same thing. I tried starting at base of 0 and 10 degree using a timing light.

I really thing it is bc of the really weak spark as states on my post. But what would make it act so that only one of 8 spark is a good spark?

Okay I finally got it running I found another post on Zhome that use hei. But the car does not stay on. The car would turn on but it dies. The only way it would stay running is if I keep the key on "start" I think ionly have spark during crank. How do I get spark after crank?

If you're no longer getting spark after crank, make sure that you have the ignition wired to the "on" side of the key, and not the "start" side.

I only mess with the wire going to coil, and I'm using hei module.

I have 4 wire

1. Green -I'm guesing tach signal

2. Black with white stripe

3. Black with blue stripe

4. Black with green stripe

Out of the bottom 3 I know number "1" has 12v when key is on.

But wich do I use to connect to possitive coil lead and which do I use to connect to hei module on letter "B"?