HybridZ

Need info, can't find in JTR book!

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! This is taking forever! Looks like another couple of months and I'll have a stock 350 in my '75 280. This forum has been very helpful, but I can't find all my answers in the JTR book. Hopefully these questions have simple answers:

1. Is there an alternate way to use the stock Datsun water temperatre gauge? I can't find a 16 x 1.5P tap for under $100.00!

2. Does anyone know a spec. for distrubitor shaft endplay?

3. Are there any other tailhousings I can use other than the Caprice model for my 700R4? I have heard some truck's have the trans mount in the same location.

4. Recommendations for a good Holley manual? I'm a Nissan dealer tech schooled in fuel injection, I haven't played with many carbs? I've got a 650 vac. sec. that needs built. It will sit on an edelbrock performer between stock 75cc cast heads on a stock 350 4 bolt. I guess I would like suggestions for a good carb rebuild kit, as well.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!

Also, feel free to ask any Nissan specific questions. I have access to ASSIST(Nissan's tech database) and could possibly help somewhere.

I took a picture copy of JTR Caprice tailhousing to a local tranmission rebuild shop that sell used parts over the counter. The salesman took one look at the picture, walked to the back and brought me a used one. $10.00 please! icon_biggrin.gif

Bought the tap at an all metric tool supply $38.00 please. icon_sad.gif

1. Is there an alternate way to use the stock Datsun water temperatre gauge? I can't find a 16 x 1.5P tap for under $100.00!

what's wrong with the JTR method? haven't altered mine in 5 yrs and 3 or more engine topend teardowns....

3. Are there any other tailhousings I can use other than the Caprice model for my 700R4? I have heard some truck's have the trans mount in the same location.

most any tailhousing AFAIK, I have a TH350 on mine....I can't see ANY reason why it has to be that one...could be ignorant on this but their's lots of freedom in locating trans mount

4. Recommendations for a good Holley manual? I'm a Nissan dealer tech schooled in fuel injection, I haven't played with many carbs? I've got a 650 vac. sec. that needs built. It will sit on an edelbrock performer between stock 75cc cast heads on a stock 350 4 bolt. I guess I would like suggestions for a good carb rebuild kit, as well.

I'm sure HPbooks has one and their stuff has been OK for me in the past....but I'm SURE you can find the world of info on those online if you wish.....

Guest Anonymous

Jason, where are you in Atlanta? Ilive in Winder and I know someone up here who can help you with your trans problem, I'll talk to him in the next couple of days and get a number for you to call him.

Jason, I don't have my JTR book in front of me, but if you are talking about the brass fitting/adapter that screws into the side of the Chevy engine, I had a machine shop tap mine for me. Yes it was $20, but I didn't care. I wanted it done once and done right.

Davy

Jason, that tap is straight theads BTW. I went looking for a metric PIPE tap, imposible. The standard tap shouldn't be too hard to find. My problem is I have 3/8 pipe in my heads, (the newer size). Some companies sell thermostat housings with 1/2 pipe hole in it for emissions stuff. Still wont help me. The throttle body on the tpi is to close. icon_sad.gif

Guys, nothing is impossible. icon_wink.gif

If you are EVER looking for Metric "Stuff" (and I mean just about anything you can think of that might be available in Metric sizes, and a bunch you never thought of), just go to or call Maryland Metrics. This great state of MD does have a few neat places, and this is one of them. I'm sure they can get you metric pipe taps - they also have all the british taps as well - use their search engine on PIPE TAP and you'll see what I mean.

That place ROCKS.

[ July 09, 2001: Message edited by: pparaska ]

Jason, and anyone else in the Atlanta area, we're having a small HybridZ get together this Friday (13th), probably at Hooters on Pleasant Hill rd, off of I-85. Mike Kelly and his future bride, Les, maybe Lee (JuJu), you if you want to join us, and me! Shoot me an email with your phone#, I'll get in touch. icon_biggrin.gif

[ July 10, 2001: Message edited by: Mike kZ ]