HybridZ

simplest/most cost effective welding method and/or welding substitute?

I really want to do some custom bodywork on my "570z" once I get it running/while I wait for parts and stuff. the thing is, I don't have any welding equipment or experience. this is where ya'll come in.

Can anyone tell me a cost effective way to learn to weld and be able to do it in my garage? or maybe some way I could do custom bodywork (custom flares maybe? maybe the "datsun" on the back like beau m is doing) without welding? At this point I'm open to any thoughts.

thanks

Best way, imo, is to take a welding class at your local community college. I know we have a great program where I live, and you'll really learn a lot and the right way to do everything.

If you know someone who welds, you can have them show you the ropes with a MIG machine and get you comfortable enough to play around with some sheet metal. I'd suggest practice on a parts car before you do anything major to your car, because fixing poor welding isn't fun or easy...

well I'm still in high school and I'm in an engineering class. next semester (starts aug 19) I can learn to weld. I could have last year but I never bothered because I had a teammate who could already weld, this time around I'm on my own due to taking the class twice I do my own project first semester. I guess I could see how that goes.

would it be a bad idea to use bolts and body filler? I'm thinking that might work for garage made fender flares.

Purchase yourself a cheap MIG welder, something with an amp rating of between 25-30 to 150-180amps and uses GAS wire, most MIG's will allow both gas and gasless wire!

I am sure in the USA you could pick up a good quality 3-5yr old MIG for under $500 easy, or a lot less if you wanted to go cheap!

Get yourself a Miller knock-off welding auto-dark helmet, which you should be able to get for under $100US easy!

Then check out the welding/fabrication section,

There is this FAQ in the welding 101 thread!

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/tutorial.htm

It is extremely helpful,

MIG welding is really easy and anyone can pick it up without that much fuss - after a little bit of time you will start to know when you are getting proper penetration, what settings will burn right through thin metal, etc, etc, etc!!!

One thing I would say though is stay away from GASLESS MIG Welding as a starter, it's trickier and leaves a hell of a lot of mess, plus the cheaper ones will spend most of there time spitting and sh$tting junk everywhere :-)!

I learn't to weld around November last year :-)

190420091041640x480.jpg

090520091067640x480.jpg

And some nice new engine mounts!

12042009954640x480.jpg

Just buy a decent 2nd hand brand name unit, then check out that MIG tutorial website and then weld everything in site :-)!