HybridZ

Rewired the Z from taillights to headlights but.....

Guest RXO510

Looking for a little help here. I just rewired Gabe's Z and everything is working without any fuses blowing up. Even the melted fuse box is working fine. No more hot fuses at all. flamedevil.gifflamedevil.gif But.... the Z won't start up. bonk.gif I get power to everything I'm suppose to. I'm running the MSD 6AL to the HEI distributor with the MSD coil on top. It seems like everytime I let go of the key from the starter position; I get what sounds like combustion from the exhaust, but just a little bit. I'm just wondering if maybe the power to my ignition fades when in the starter position? Just guessing here.

Anybody have any problems like that? We tried looking through the search on this subject, but didn't see this particular problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for all the help though. Can't believe we finally finished wiring the whole car. Thought it would never get done. The previous owner hacked up the whole electrical system. I can't believe it didn't catch on fire. flamedevil.gifbonk.gifbonk.gif Well good that it didn't. Sorry for the long post. twak.gif J & G icon_confused.gif

Guest Anonymous

i am planning a similar project for my z soon due to the PO and his aperant love for wirenuts and non factory accesorys, what did you use and how long did it take?

Guest dankinzle

Has your timing changed since you rewired your car? What you have going on sounds much like what happened to me when I was starting mine the first time. I got this weird gurgling sound when I would try to start the car. All it ended up being was 30 degrees timing, and I thought I was going crazy ugg.gif

quote:

Originally posted by RXO510:

It seems like everytime I let go of the key from the starter position; I get what sounds like combustion from the exhaust, but just a little bit. I'm just wondering if maybe the power to my ignition fades when in the starter position? Just guessing here.

What year is your z? I found the problem on Haines manual. The ignition key switch of early z cuts ingition supply at start position. Then the power would be supply vir the ballast resistor, inversely and low voltage.

280z ignition key solves this problem. Also, jumper wiring between start (to the coil, not to the starter) and ignition at the switch would work.

Regards,

Kazu

My car is a mess too, PW 18 circuit kit but I added so many gauges and stuff after the harness was installed, I've had to splice and add wires etc.

Plan it out. The most add-ons I encountered were ACC, GND, and dash lites which are hooked up to the parking lites. For GND, I ended up ripping everything out and creating a post like a battery post with various GND wires coming to it. They are held on by the crimp-on fish eye connectors.

Will probably do that with the ACC too.

Owen

Thanks for replying to our post. 240 4U2NV; it took us about 2 1/2 weeks. I didn't use a painless wiring kit just yet. I just wanted to make sure I could do it first. I wanted o make sure none of the fuses popped when I turn light, wipers, brakes........ on. I unwrapped everything that had to do with wiring and went through them all. Even using the old melted fuse box with some repairs of course. So now I'm going to buy the 12 circuit wiring painless wiring kit.

Dankinzle; Never moved the distributor. It sits in the same position as it did when it last ran. Thanks for the info though. Will make sure with the timing gun.

Kazu; Thanks. I just thought that might be the trouble with these old ignitions. I should have just used a volt meter to see if the power was fading during the cranking. Thank you all. twak.gif J & G

Hey hey hey!!!!! Ignition on, starter crank; VROOOMMMM. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif Brakes, sidemarkers, signals, hazards, parking, headlights, dash, wipers, radio...; all working. Systems are a GO!!! icon_razz.gif Fuse box holding and no fuses popping. The headlight fuse seems to get warm, but no to a point where it's burning me. Thinking about putting on a relay to the headlights. That's the only fuse that I'm concerned about at this time. Painless wiring kit is on it's way. It was tough, but couldn't have done it alone. Thanks for all the help!! We're so very grateful.

twak.gif J & G

Hey BLKMGK! We will do that this weekend. Hope it stops raining so we can work on our Z some more. You wouldn't happen to have a diagram of the way you hooked up your lights do you? Is it possibly in your site somewhere? We thought we sawa few posts where people have done this. We're going back to the search on this subject. Thanks. twak.gif J & G