HybridZ

Wiper motor wiring for a '71

alsil

Anybody have any clue how to bench test a wiper motor from a '71? I can't get either of the ones I have to even register a load. There are 5 wires:

Black (Ground for switch or motor?)

Blue (switch fast speed?)

Blue - Red (Constant?)

Blue - Yellow (switch normal speed?)

Blue - White

I need to get my wipers going, I don't have a problem making a harness for it, as long as I can get it working. icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

Thanks

Al flamedevil.gifbonk.gif

Wires from the wiper motor to the harness

B - ground

LR - to fuse box 20A

L , LW, LY comb. switch

We tested the motor by making sure we had power to the LR wire with a test light. (Ignition switch must be turned on first) Then made sure we had good ground to the motor. Then we grounded a piece of wire and made contact with the L, LW, LY wire to see if the motor worked in all phases. It did so we checked our switch.

Our comb switch wasn't grounded properly and didn't work. Hope this helps some.

If you need the schematics I can also send. I have several now, thanks to HybridZ members.

Guest bang847

Wow Sunny has been faxing alot lately... all at your own cost.. I got a copy of the 71 wiring diagram second hand from RXO510.. thanks to both of ya... well no real point to this post other than to say thanks... hey Owen... when are you gonna get your site back up again? do you got a picture of the painless fuse box mount?

So what you're saying is that LR is the only hot wire, and the other 4 are grounds? No wonder! bonk.gif

OK, I think I know how to test it now, my switch must be bad. I have a lighted toggle switch I can use until I get a new switch.

Thanks for the help!

Thanks

AL flamedevil.gif

Yup! you got it. LR wire is the only hot wire when the ignition is turned on. The B wire is the ground (common). The rest of the L wires are the ones on your comb. switch. Hope you can find your problem. Good luck.

Guest Anonymous

ALSI-WIPER PROBLEM

I FAXED THE ELECTRICAL DIAGRAM OF THE WIPER

MOTOR ASSSEMBLY. I HOPE YOU GOT IT-I HAD TROUBLE WITH MY FAX MACHINE. SO, IF IT DIDN'T

FAX OK-LET ME KNOW.

ALOHA,

SUNNY

Thanks Sunny, I got it. Makes MUCH moe sense now. And thanks to RXO510 for telling me what the wires all go to. Think I might have had a good motor in the first place, but I'll test them both now and get it going. Thanks for all the help!

AL flamedevil.gifbonk.gifugg.gif

OK so here's my next question. I'm going to hook this up to a toggle switch for the time being. This is how I think I should wire it up, because it's only a 2 position switch on/off:

B - Ground

LR - Constant

*Both Key Power*

L - Switch on to Ground

LW - Relay (not sure if it will work this way) to Ground

If I hook it up this way, I don't think the relay to put the wipers back down will work. How could I get past this? Is the relay in the combo switch (I hope not) or should I steal the wires from the steering column to make this work?

I'm pretty sure my combo switch is bad. What do you think?

AL

icon_confused.gifugg.gifconfused2.gifweird.gif

hey just checked out my wiper linkage, its ok, but whats going on when i try to use my wipers is that the bolts that hold the arms are stripped or the arms are stripped, and the wipers themselves only move about two inches when the switch is on, do any of you guys know a quick fix for that????

Hey Al.

Make sure your 20A fuse is good first before you do anything.

I would try to hook up the way you want to wire the wiper motor from the inside of the engine bay first. Just pull apart the 5 wire connector. Wire the motor; LR wire to + and the B to ground. Setup the switch the way you think might work and see how it goes from there.

Looks like you're only going to have one speed for now with your wiring setup. At least it will work. Not sure if the wipers will reset back all the way down with your wiring plan. Just try it. You won't hurt anything this way. Good luck.