HybridZ

Fuel Cell

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I started a fuel cell install last night. I have the red 22 gallon cell from Summit. It looks strange to have a HUGE hole in the rear hatch!!! Since the spare tire is offset to the left and my battery is to the left I am going to have to sheet metal and add supports. I also elevated the tank 3" to gain ground clearance. Who has put a filter neck on the tank to the outside of the vehicle? It would be nice to be able to fill without opening the hatch.

Just an idea here that I'm going with being my "theme" for my Z is RACE CAR! I bought one of those "Bullitt" fuel cap doors (round brushed aluminum) that Ford has on their Bullitt Mustangs. I am going to mount it flush with the hatch surface, centered below the window, on the hatch. Being the cell and battery and tower cross brace with cage and all is back there anyway (won't be putting any luggage bach there), I don't see any reason not to run a filler tube up to and just under the Bullitt fuel door (use spongy foam gasket to seal the tube and cap to the hatch surface. This way I can fill without opening the hatch. Open the door, remove fuel cap, and fill.

Terry, what happens if you get into a crash and you car flips? Will the gas gush out inside your car, or would you have a check valve installed in the filler tube? I don't think foam will keep it from leaking out, fumes sure, but gallons of gas?

Just wondering, trying to be safety minded. Sounds like a cool idea though. Be wierd to see a gas cap on the hatch of a Z.

!M!

With a door on the hatch, and the cap on the fuel tube, the tube is sealed by the cap, not the door (remember when you open your cap on your other cars, and you here the air rush out). I took some pics of, and left a 6" round black cardboard circle on the needed position on the hatch (to get an idea if this was going to look "too wierd". It appears that it will look fine. Yes, it will be different. As you can see from the following photo, the car is almost paintable. The spoiler does not interfer with the door, it's off being wet-sanded.

View?u=1541023&a=14055716&p=57147262

Man that car looks nice.

I see what the misunderstanding was. The filler stays put when the hatch is opened. The outer door is like an extra, tinier hatch on the actual hatch. Like a doggie door to get to the filler.

Have I mentioned that that car looks cool?