HybridZ

Junkyard wiring and connectors

Toying with the idea of rewiring my entire car. Does anybody know of any cars that use high quality connectors that could be found in junkyards. Has anybody done this before or would it just make more sense to go to Waytek and buy some new connectors.

Deutsch > weatherpack.

I've used both on projects over the years and I am a Deutsch connector convert now.

Weather pack are good, they do seal well, but to me they are a bit sloppy in fit.

The only drawback is that the Deutsch connectors require a special crimping tool, that can be a few hundred dollars.

I have recentloy found out that there are a different style Deutsch connector that can use a more conventional (and cheaper) crimping tool, but have not used them myself, so I can't comment on how well they work.

For some projects I have used junkyard connectors, but usually only when needing to connect to an existing component and can't find a replacement connector. I usually use that as a last resort though, since you will now have spliced wires, which any connection even done properly will add just a small bit of resistance to the circuit, and can add a spot for moisture to work it's way into the wire (which is why I've started using "liquid electrical tape" to seal splice connections).