HybridZ

Ceramic Coating your Engine... For Cheap!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey guys, I was told about this site that sells DIY ceramic coating kits. After going through their site it seems like pretty good stuff. The address is www.techlinecoatings.com . Anyone heard of em or have any experience with them?

According to Vizard, ceramic coating your pistons, valves, and chambers is potentially worth up to an 8% increase in power and efficiency. What I want to know though, is if heat barrier coatings decrease the detonation resistance of an engine. Any ideas?

Maybe if we generate enough interest we can organize a group buy? icon_wink.gif

The guy that runs the place has a Z project and used to post here as Takman57.

Also, Long (Dankinzle) is a long time member and frequent poster and is formally affiliated with the shop as well. I have heard nothing bad about them, and they even offered HybridZ discounts last year on header coating. If memory serves me correctly, they had some kind of formal mention in CarCraft or Hot Rod regarding coatings--about 1 year ago (?) Good stuff.

Davy

Guest Anonymous

Ceramic coating DEFINITELY has its virtues. That was never in doubt. I know that Honda has been using ceramic liners in some of its more exotic engines (NSX, Prelude SH, etc) for a while now. And ceramic impellers for turbos are the way to go now. Race car engines use ceramics all the time...

Ceramics are an awesome engineering material, So many advantages to them. Problem is they're very expensive not to mention brittle. What I wanted to know was if these particular DIY ceramic coating kits were any good (e.g. will not flake off after a couple thousand miles) I am inclined to believe so, but I've got nothing to back that up with. What do you guyys think?

quote:

Originally posted by Hydra:

Ceramics are an awesome engineering material, So many advantages to them. Problem is they're very expensive not to mention brittle.

My pistons and exhaust ports were ceramic coated by Swain, and I have had excellent luck. The coating is very tough, and I have not seen any problems assodciated with brittleness. The price was very reasonable, too.

Detonation resistance? Well, I can't say that it's the coatings for sure, but I am able to run 24psi on 94 octane pump gas...

quote:

Originally posted by DavyZ:

The guy that runs the place has a Z project and used to post here as Takman57.

Also, Long (Dankinzle) is a long time member and frequent poster and is formally affiliated with the shop as well. I have heard nothing bad about them, and they even offered HybridZ discounts last year on header coating. If memory serves me correctly, they had some kind of formal mention in CarCraft or Hot Rod regarding coatings--about 1 year ago (?) Good stuff.

Davy

Davy, I don't think this is correct. Tech Line Coatings has been around for a long time. Many of the ceramic coating places get their materials from them, from what I've heard. Tony's place probably does as well. I sent Tony a message a month or so ago (email) but never heard back. Is his business still going?

Guest dankinzle

Pete is correct that Techline is just a brand of lots of different coatings. http://www.speedtechcoatings.com is our company that offers coating services. More details can be found on the website. The company is still up and growing, but Tony has stopped doing the actual coating work for the company and I believe manages the website now.

Ceramic coatings aren't actualy that brittle. I think he was referring to actual ceramic parts. At shows we used to let people bang a coated intake with a hammer to show how strong the stuff sticks. To date the only place where the manifold shows through is where some monster of a man put a 1/2" dent into the manifold icon_eek.gif . As for detonation resistance, I'm not quite sure, but Steve, who you can reach through the web can answer your questions.