HybridZ

t5 swap / can't get in gear / clutch issue

tech9

To make a long story short, I swapped in a t5 into my 77 280z. Using the 83 280zx t5, driveshaft, diff flange, mount etc.

When swapping I installed a new exedy clutch and pressure plate, but reused the slave cyl, throwout bearing, etc. I also installed my fidenza flywheel just for kicks.

Well FINALLY got it all complete, and the clutch seems to not want to let go. I thought it was a slave cyl problem, or the rod not long enough, etc. So I made sure the clutch was pushing the fork all the way back, which it is. I doubt I installed the clutch wrong because it really only fits 1 direction. (the side of the clutch with the thicker middle piece toward the pressure plate) and everything looks as if its functioning properly. I really would hate to take the tranny back out, so maybe a few tips first.

Maybe I need to adjust the fork ball?

PS. the tranny was taken out of a parts car, with all of the parts in working order.

To give this thread some info, here is how I got everything working for the t5/fidenza install.

IMG_0245.jpg

Here is the difference between the 2 trannys.

IMG_0252.jpg

Here is the "mod" that was required to get the clutch off the "thinner" alum flywheel.

IMG_0247.jpg

Difference in driveshafts (orig on left, 83 280zxt on right) Was the perfect lengthi, except a little tight to fit around the rear swaybar.

IMG_0255.jpg

How closer the "stock 280zxt" shift is to the front of the opening. I will post once I get my mustang shifter installed.

Make sure you have the correct clutch and clutch collar combination (the 225mm NA w/ longer collar from the 280z or the 240mm turbo clutch with shorter collar from the T5). Had a similar problem when I tried using the longer clutch collar form the my 280z with the 240mm turbo cluch and pressure plate with my T5 swap.