HybridZ

Removing Rear Fender on a ZX?

bmarchuk

Ok so i have a parts car, 280zx 2+2.

I know you can buy the rear fender for a coupe from black dragon or some others, but i need a 2+2 piece, so I need to cut this one off, and have a body shop weld it on most likely.

Problem is there is no way to get the undamaged non running parts car to a body shop to have it removed, to have it placed on the damaged car.

So, any quick tips on how to cut this off easily? or is there no easy way to do it? am i even capable of doing this? i have the time, and patience, but probably not the tools, or knowledge.

by looking inside the car i can see its attached around the door, and where the wheel well sticks out. and the rear obviously

I would need to whole piece from the door below the window to the back of the car.

I saw a thread by searching of a guy who did this, but no info at all really.

Am I in over my head?

$20 angle grinder from harbor freight.

Seriously though, I've never done it

Good advice (note my sarcasm).... :icon56:

An angle grinder will only take about a week, and damage the panel. You need to drill out all the spot welds around the flanges. Then use a pneumatic chisel to break the welds loose. On the c-pillar where the quarter panel and roof meet, there is a brazed flange. That you will need to grind loose.

It's a nightmare of a job for a first timer. :D

403158_82_full.jpg

403158_86_full.jpg

You'd be best off renting a trailer from u-haul and taking the whole parts car down to the body shop if you don't have the tooling to do it yourself.

I just did one one an s30 and it took me a good four hours, and I knew what I was doing. It really is a pain to get the whole panel out in one piece.

You might be able to cut out the portion you need though.