HybridZ

z31 rb20det 200zr ?

sexy sam

i have a 87 300zx or a z31 and im going to be swaping a rb20det into it. im lost on the electronic side of things. what do i do about a wiring harness. do i get a z31 harness and the rb harness put together by some company some where or would a 200zr harness work because i believe the 200zr came with an rb20det

The easiest way would be to have a company do the harness for you. If you are purchasing the engine and tranny combo from a company, they will provide you with the harness, engine, tranny and ECU. From there you can take your harness and the RB harness to a shop and they'll do it for you if they know how. Another alternative would be to run a stand alone engine management. the 200ZR harness might be hard to come by but it might be a direct swap. I'm not sure if it is or not as I do not anything about the 200ZR besides the fact that I'm using the same rear sump oil pan. IMO it's really important that who ever does your harness has done this swap before. Saving some money by getting your harness done by a shop with no experience in this field may end up costing you more money and time because they are more prone to do it incorrectly due to the lack of experience. Good luck, hopes this helps

There's not that many wires involved. You should read Chris Rummel's RB into Z thread. That will give you some idea of what is involved. It is somewhat intimidating when you start but when you get done, you will know everything about the wiring in your car. Then you can fix any problem that comes up relating to wiring. It also forces you to understand how the injectors and coil packs work along with the fuel pump and the starting system. This is not bad information to have floating around in your head. If you have time, do it yourself, save the cash, and drive something you built yourself. Then you can live up to the name Sexy Sam.

lol thanks. its not that i don't understand it i go to school for it i know all about the pulse width of an injector and the dwell time in a ei system opposed to dwell in an di but i learn this ♥♥♥♥ all day and i hate electrical more then anything in the world i just don't wanna deal with it but ill go read that thread not. thanks

Then it doesn't sound like you are 'lost'... just lazy :)

(Smiley face indicates no offense intended - please don't plot my death)

lol thanks. its not that i don't understand it i go to school for it i know all about the pulse width of an injector and the dwell time in a ei system opposed to dwell in an di but i learn this ♥♥♥♥ all day and i hate electrical more then anything in the world i just don't wanna deal with it but ill go read that thread not. thanks