HybridZ

260z relay board question

rinn240z

Hello everyone. I'm new to the Z world and am having trouble finding info on wiring and which relays are which on a 260z. I've researched hours and have a few manuals but nothing specific for the 260z. I've been troubleshooting many electrical issues from charging, turns signals, hazards, gauges, and wipers. So I pulled the harness out and found some melted wires. I want to eliminate all unessesary wiring and relays like the interlock system and anything else. I hope this isn't a redundant question. Just a picture of the relay board would be helpful. Thanks :icon56:

I believe this is the correct relay diagram for a 260.

I have a similar question about the headlight relay. My right headlight works but the left one doesn't unless you ground it. Where exactly is the headlight relay, is one for both lights or separate one for each. I bought the Haynes and Chilton manuals and still can't find it.

Thanks.

I'll take a stab at an answer....I'm sure someone will chime in if I misstate anything.

To my knowledge, there is no independent headlamp relay. The system is wired directly from switch to headlamp, via the fuseblock and fusible link box. The ground is established through the combination switch on your steering column.

As far as your left headlamp problem goes; if you've already ruled out the obvious suspects (poor connection at the headlamp 3-way plug, the sealed-beam unit itself, etc), then your problem likely originates in the combination switch. Check that all connections are clean and corrosion-free. Ensure all solder points are securely soldered. One other thing that might be causing you fits is broken or damaged wire somewhere in the harness -- easy way to check this is with continuity tester (e.g. testlamp or voltmeter/ammeter).

Good luck -- electrical gremlins can be a pain to track down, but relatively easy to fix once you've isolated the problem!

You bet....happy to help.

One last thing to check if you're having electrical problems: check your harness connections in the junction block next to the relay board. I had a heck of a time tracking down a problem with my emergency flashers....turned out to be a poor connection between the plugs at the junction block. I cleaned up the contacts, plugged it back in, and no more problem! :)

Good luck and happy motoring.