HybridZ

Throttle body trouble

travlnman

I have a '78 280 Z. All stock. while battling a high idle related to the BCDD, I also noticed that the shaft which supports and turns the "butterfly" in the throttle body has some play in it. So much so, that it will allow the butterfly to shift sideways, and bypass air and let the car idle slightly higher. I can push on the the shaft and visibly shift it sideways and the idle will go lower. Are there kits available to replace the bushings that support this shaft ? If not, how has anyone else fixed this. Thanks.

I could buy one locally. I am just afraid that a used one will have the same trouble.My local salvage yard has a complete '78, minus the drivers side window I just bought of course. I could get that one I guess and try it. It should be as you say, very cheap.

if your going to spend money on a throttle body, perhaps you should consider upgrading at the same time? get added performance and an item with less kays on it.

otherwise, try a workshop that re-bushes dizzy's, they should be able to rebush a throttle body, the bushes are very similar.