HybridZ

Karma is a b**ch!

forchunet

I just blew $550 at the $1/$2 NL hold 'em table last night, my single biggest one day lost thus far. Before this I've lost maybe $150 at the most in a single night. Although my bankroll can sustain a $550 lost somewhat (I had $2500 allotted for $1/$2 that is STRICTLY for poker) the amount just makes my stomach turn...

I'm still up for the summer, however, as I've made about $1,375 grinding the 1/2 since mid June when I started up again after a 4 month poker hiatus. I keep telling myself this so as to soften the blow but still... I LOST $550!

But besides all of that I want to know how some of you guys have handled a really bad night at the tables. I know I need to cool off and rethink my strategy. I lost the first $300 fairly to bad beats but my second buy in for $250 was lost due to pure tilt... sigh.

Well I don't consider poker gambling. People wouldn't play poker professionally if it was considered gambling.

I've paid for a little less than half of 3 years worth of college through poker so I doubt I'm gonna quit anytime soon.

Just want some tips on how others on here have ridden through a storm of bad beats and how they've elevated there poker game.

Well I don't consider poker gambling. People wouldn't play poker professionally if it was considered gambling.

You don't consider it gambling? That's probably your first mistake. People who consistently win at poker (which is gambling BTW) are good at several skills including psychology, reading body language, mentally keeping track of cards & odds, and bluffing. Knowing when to "hold 'em" and when to "fold 'em" doesn't hurt either.

If you're going to gamble (poker is gambling) you have to be mentally and financially prepared to lose and not whine about it. Don't play with more than you can afford to lose. Don't spend the rent, grocery money, or college fund on poker.

Did I mention that poker is gambling? People would be playing it in church basements, instead of Bingo, if it wasn't.

Dennis

Try this next time, go in with NO expectation. Absolutely none. Win $1 or $100 same results. Lose $1 or $1000 same results.

My experience is when I have NO expectataions little can go wrong. If I have even a low expectation, things can go much lower than that in a hurry and then I get upset.

You can't play $1/$2 and expect not to have BIG swings. First timers with no table experience get lucky drawing out. You'll have a much more steady bankroll if you step up to higher stakes ($3/$6 or $4/$8 seems to be a sweet spot for me). The players are more skilled but less likely to make retarded calls on you.

Did you ever switch tables? If I ever lose what seems to be too much in a row I'll go grab a bite to eat and change tables. Fresh players and scenery do wonders for my metal state - which for people that know how to play know - that is all that the game is about.

Awesome advice JSM and trwebb26. I often find myself sitting at a table expecting to make a hundred by the end of the night or at least displaying good damage control and losing only my buy in. I'll try to sit down next time with a mind set of not expecting anything other than playing good poker. Also I will try to switch tables and clear my head next time. No I never switch tables usually. The place I played at has a rule in which you cannot switch tables (idk its stupid). I may think about moving up to higher stakes but as for now I know my bankroll cannot handle it..