HybridZ

Factory service manual on CD for 280Z

blueovalz

I saw this from Courtesy Nissan for $45. Has anybody used this, and if so, is it a good representation of the original manuals? My paper version was lost in a move, and the supplier of the factory manual says that the new "paper" versions are photocopies of the originals, and run $75 in a binder.

Guest Anonymous

The CDs are, indeed, my handiwork. I started out by making one for myself as a means of preserving my manual. I showed a few friends and eventually sent a copy to Courtesy Nissan. They were so impressed that they asked me to convert all the manuals, over time, for them. I am in the process of doing so.

There are two versions for the 78. One is a simple frames interface with image-only PDF files for $49.95. The other has a choice of interface: Flash, text or frames with TEXT SEARCHABLE PDF files for $69.96. The images for both are of identical quality.

Also, the text searchable version is much nicer to use and has a thorough collection of Z car commercials included.

Yes, the fold-out wiring schematics ARE INCLUDED in their entirety.

One point to note: it is cheaper to buy a CD than have Kinkos copy a paper manual.

I will be glad to answer any technical or formatting questions that anyone might have.

[ September 24, 2001: Message edited by: cborden ]

• 3 months later...
Guest Anonymous

...i got it...and the fiche too...they are done about as well as possible i guess...but i hate the adobe reader..(just my ignorance)..the flash interface seems to be the only one that has everthing...the search (like every search i've ever seen doesnt work that well ..if @ all)..i'd much rather have "a book"...its what i'm used to...

...its good to have this too...i'm really glad someone did it and its worth it....but i like the book better..

...would be real good if you could print the whole thing (i tried)...but it doesnt print well...s

Guest Anonymous

Schmaydee:

The text searchable versions should be easy to navigate if you use the "find" (button with binoculars on it) function of Acrobat Reader. I felt the results were worth redoing all of the manuals in the correct format.

As far as printing, it will do just fine AS LONG as you use the Adobe Acrobat print function and not the browser print command.

Also, open up the PDF files natively instead of through the browser. It will give you more screen real estate and should print a little better. Adobe Acrobat plug-ins for browsers are notorious for not working quite right or getting fouled up. Hopefully it will improve.

If you have any questions on how to use the CD, send them my way.

Guest Anonymous

..i appreciate it..you did a great job on it..it had to be a lot of work...and something to be proud of...any probs i have w/it are due entirely to my inability to use the adobe....(not to worry you death about it...but)..the two major things that irk me....is when i scroll down a page (instead of stopping on the page i am on)..it goes on to the next--and next--pages...and when i get the document the right size..and go to the next page..that page is back to the original size and i have to zoom on it again..is there a way to set that?.....thanks ...s

Guest Anonymous

I will fully admit that the CD manual can seem cumbersome until the user is comfortable with Adobe Acrobat and all that it will do.

I know what you mean about the page views. You can certainly set it so that scrolling keeps you on the same page.

The best way is to go to the "view" menu in Acrobat and make sure that "fit to width" and "single page" have checks next to them.

Once you know your way around manual and are familiar with the sections it is best to view them outside of the browser. To do that, explore the contents of the CD and go to the "PDF" folder. Double-click on the section that you need and it will open natively in the Acrobat Reader. Play around with the menu buttons in Acrobat and get comfortable with their functions because they will help you a lot.

The PDF files are broken into sections because if the manual was one big PDF file it would be too big and sluggish.

Guest Anonymous

Sean: The bad news: the 83ZX factory manuals are no longer available from Nissan.

The good news: I finally found a good one on the net and purchased it. So, YES, the conversion will happen.

I am currently working on the 80,81,88,89 and 95 model years. 83 will be next.

Craig

Guest Anonymous

Demidion,

Yes, they do. One inherent problem with converting the paper manuals is that the paper itself is VERY thin. The pages are also double sided and this causes a bleed-through problem, of sorts, when the scanning takes place. I have not been able to work around that.

The pages are simple image files that are converted using very good OCR software for the text searchability and then converted to PDF files for distribution and security. It would be extremely nice to have the original digital manuscript so that the pages could be converted to PDF natively but that just isn't going to happen icon_sad.gif

The full schematics would be much more useful if blown up but the images will only scale up to a certain point without losing quality.

Personally, I have always found the individual circuit schematics much more useful than the full diagram.