HybridZ

Question about Auto Meter Gauges

Georgia Flash

Hello and Happy New Year to all!

I have a simple question to ask. If I do not use my original gauges in my 75 Z and choose to use the cool looking white faced ones that Auto Lite sells wouldn't that be an easier thing to do?

I have read something about having a special harness so that the wiring hooks to the Datsun gauges and to the chevy V-8. But I was thinking that if you just ordered the gauges to work with the Chevy you could save yourself a big headache, what do you guys think? :confused:

Guest Anonymous

There have been a lot of people do the gauge swap. It is a straightforward process not requiring a PhD. Most people use silicon, Velcro or screws to secure the gauge behind the bezel into the dash. There isn't any required wiring harness, just some electrical skills. I have herd that someone did it without removing the dash, lord only knows how. I have a gas gauge for sell if you are interested.

It might be a good idea to put some interior lights under the dash while you have it down.

Dash_Rear.JPG

Check my site for pics - it's easy to do with the dash in the car or at least it was on my '72. I first unbolted the heater assembly where th econtrols are, then reached up and unscred the single nut that holds each of the three middle gauges. Removed the gauges through the front (I think) then used their housing to hold my Autometer gauges and modified the old stock mount so they would bolt in icon_biggrin.gif

Tach and speedo were removed much the same way - by reaching up under there and unscrewing the bolts holding them and then slipping them out. One removed I put silicone around the new 5inch gauges, slid them in place, and was done (except for wiring). Hardest part was th etach and speedo since they weren't quite an interference fit. I'd use black caulk next time as the silicone was too glossy icon_sad.gif Bound to be a better way to do those but.... coollook.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

BLKMGK, you said the speedo and tach are the 5in gauges? I measured the housing last night and came up with only about 3 3/4in for those in my 75Z. Do you put them in from the front? And do they not go all the way back like the stock gauges? Help!

Also what size did you order for the small gauges? Thanks

Guest Anonymous

Unless the 75 dash guages are different (anyone know?) then they should go in from the front. You remove the old speedo and tach and slide the new ones in from the front. I believe the bezel on the stock ones takes up alot of that extra room, and if you were measuring just the gauge face itself, it would seem smaller than it really is.

Once I slid them in, I did like BLKMGK did and siliconed them from the front. Others as mentioned have used tape, or if you want you can even make a bracket to use the old mounting points, although I have to say the silicone really works the trick, and trust me when I say it ain't falling out ever.

Regards,

Lone

Yep I was measuring the gauge face itself and or the old housing. I see from just measuring the holes in the dash itself that the 5 inchers will fit just fine. I was under the impression that the old housing and clear plastic factory gauge lens would be used with the new gauge. Dunno why I thunk it I just did. Oh well you learn something new everyday here.

Guest Anonymous

Lunars..

are SWEET!! I would definitely wait for them. I saw a 2002 product demo showcase at a nearby auto show, and everyone passing by stopped and gazed for a few minutes at the Lunars. The Cobalts are also cool if you're not into white-faced. Unfortunately their representative wasn't gonna tell us when consumer-availability was. pretty soon I'd bet. I mean.. it is 2002 afterall, time to whip out the 2k2 products.

I plan on getting a set lunars for my turbo swap, if somebody does it first please post some pics :D:D

-980mak