HybridZ

weld-in mounts

I seem to recall seeing a thread a few years back with diagrams for building weld-in V8 mounts as opposed to the multi-piece mounts that you can get from JTR, or fab, etc. Basically it was building a mount that would be like a native Chevy V8 mount, welded to the frame. Does anyone know what I am talking about? :icon56: I couldnt seem to find it by searching.

I seem to recall seeing a thread a few years back with diagrams for building weld-in V8 mounts as opposed to the multi-piece mounts that you can get from JTR, or fab, etc. Basically it was building a mount that would be like a native Chevy V8 mount, welded to the frame. Does anyone know what I am talking about? :icon56: I couldnt seem to find it by searching.

If you mean a motor plate style mount, the short answer is, 'yes.' All other mounts that I recall (MSA, JTR, Hooker/Scarab) have been bolt in, unless homemade.

Davy

Thanks Davy. I was just wondering this morning if I was ever going to get any responses, or if I really should have put this in the fabbing forum.

Basically what I remember was people were cutting the existing engine mounts from the frame, then lowering the engine into the bay, measuring, and fabbing new mounts to weld to the frame.

Another option is to weld boxed sheet-metal mounting towers to the frame rails, in the vicinity of the stock reinforcements for the tension/compression rods. Then you can use conventional rubber motor mounts and relieve the steering crossmember from engine-support duty. I'm not aware of any "kit" for this, but it should be easier than making motor plates, and more functional for the street.

Basically what I remember was people were cutting the existing engine mounts from the frame, then lowering the engine into the bay, measuring, and fabbing new mounts to weld to the frame.

Ah, now I think I remember: this almost sounds like what they were doing initially for the LS1 swap a number of years ago. They had to cut everything, as I recall, and measure for mount fabrication. I don't think this was done for the SBC.

Davy

Thanks Davy! I think you hit the nail right on the head :-D

I was thinking about doing this because I think it would make the engine compartment look a little bit cleaner and look more like the engine was supposed to be there. I seem to recall some benefit to having it mounted to the frame-rails as opposed to the crossmember.

I was talking to someone, and he was saying it probably wouldnt be that hard as long as the engine is parallel to the frame, and the output-shaft is parallel to the ground.

Ah, now I think I remember: this almost sounds like what they were doing initially for the LS1 swap a number of years ago. They had to cut everything, as I recall, and measure for mount fabrication. I don't think this was done for the SBC.

Davy

I've got to say, it sounds like a lot of work to replace something with all the engineering worked out AND will simply bolt it.

I've never had anyone look at my JTR mounts and say that they look out of place. Quite the contrary, everyone looks at the swap and says it looks like it came from the factory that way.

There is plenty of other items in the motor swap where you will need to be creative. I'd offer that re-inventing the wheel (motor mounts, that is) is not worth the effort.

Well, I wasn't really think of it as re-inventing the wheel, since I recalled seeing it done before. More like just choosing a different wheel :D

I also thought there would be some pros-cons to each.

I've got to say, it sounds like a lot of work to replace something with all the engineering worked out AND will simply bolt it.

I've never had anyone look at my JTR mounts and say that they look out of place. Quite the contrary, everyone looks at the swap and says it looks like it came from the factory that way.

There is plenty of other items in the motor swap where you will need to be creative. I'd offer that re-inventing the wheel (motor mounts, that is) is not worth the effort.