HybridZ

Rb20 speedo gear Q?

dizzle

Does anyone know what ratio rear end originally came in the skyline with the rb20? I am changing my rear end gears and hoping that my speedo might be somewhat close. I Need to do some more searching on what car I can cross ref the correct one. But crossing my fingers that the rb20 trans came with a 3:71

There were several different ratios. It depends on model of skyline, and if it came out of an automatic vehicle, as what i've found is they are quite a bit different. i found on these forums once upon a time, a list of all the ratios, and the speedo drive gears (colour of the drive gear is different for each ratio).

for the ratio you're looking at, its the same as mine, which came out of an R31 rb20det (old red top motor), it had the longnose r200 LSD, and i think the plastic speedo drive was blue. not sure if i've helped?!!

whoops, sorry- i didnt tell you what car that diff came out of!! It was an 1988 R31 GTS skyline, japanese spec. (so had the rb20det, independant rear end, r200lsd, 4ws, and the front struts you can directly bolt 4 pot skyline brakes onto). it has to be jap spec as Australian ones dont have the same diff, but have a solid rear axle.

You should be able to still buy the drive unit from Nissan.

hope this helps.

Isn't the RB20 tranny a FS5W71 tranny?

If so, you have dozens of choices for mechanical speedo drive and only a few if you want to use a sensor.

If the car you are putting it into originally had a nissan digital dash, you might need a short speedo cable that goes to a pulse unit that mounts in the engine compartment and sends the signal to the digital speedo head.

If your car has a nissan analog speedo of a certain year that uses a sensor, then you might need a sensor that screws to the speedo drive from a 1987-1989 300zx (analog dash car).

If your car uses the later style of sensor on the tranny, you have many choices of sensor and gear sizes from the 240sx and possibly the nissan trucks and pathfinders that came with a FS5W71 family tranny.

When I ran the Rb25 and non turbo trans, I had a 3.9 LSD but a 4.1 would've been better suited. As for the speedo drive, I found a unit out of an Australian market Nissan Gazelle (84-85) that went straight in and speedo worked fine. Was about 4-5 mph slower but I usualy had my gps with me to use as a more accurate speedo. I do have a speedo drive unit new from Nissan if you can't locate one easily.

Well my s30 still has the mechanical speedo. And the rb20 still has the cable style speedo drive. The cable fits up perfect but with the 3.34 rear end, was aprox 20% off. So there are z31's that had this style speedo drive??

On a side note, do you think I chose the right gearing?? A friend swore up and down that the 3.7 would be best for a rb25det street car. I still have another 3.9 r200 in the garage I can use if it is still going to be too long of gears. Just would like to know what others are running in their rb powered z cars??