HybridZ

No high beams!!

Hartspank

Woah really? What's your username/email for applying there? I'll pm jason and get him to put you through. (pm me the info if you wish)

anyway, long ass post time.

Symptom:

One or Both headlights do not operate properly. Fuses all look good. Been told "Its your switch" over on z31.com.

Reason:

Corrosion buildup on lightswitch contacts causing weak or no connectivity. Contact fingers warped from overheating.

Action Taken:

Cleaned contact points with fine grit sandpaper to remove corrosion. Carefully re-adjust contact fingers.

The original headlight switch from my 84 turbo:

dsc06520cruj5.jpg

After a few years, this started giving me intermittent failures. I cleaned and re-adjusted it twice before i

sought out a replacement at the junkyard. Some owners have good luck with cleaning them, for others its more temporary solution.

I found this one, i believe its from a latter model Z31 as I've heard the contact fingers on the latter models are of a different metal,

possibly just a nickle coat?

dsc06522crkd0.jpg

(the photos may not show it well, but the contact fingers on the different switches are two very different colors)

When cleaning the contacts, use a fine grit sandpaper. Try not to remove too much material or you may need to readjust the contact fingers.

Re-adjusting them is a hit or miss affair and i would try to avoid the trial and error, which is why i got a replacement after two temporary fixes.

Clean both the upper and lower contact surfaces. Blow out any excess debris.

dsc06526crtr2.jpg

dsc06530crrp5.jpg

Contacts labeled for what they control. (may be reversed but you get the idea)

dsc06522cr1nl6.jpg

Tools:

• 19mm socket with extension and ratchet.
    Phillips screwdriver.
    Wire stripper/cutter
    Soldering iron
    X=acto blade
    Metal pin
    Fine grit sandpaper.

1 hour in the garage and everything works again! I can't thank you enough. This must of been one of the issues that prompted the previous owner to sell, there were photo copies of the headlight schematics in a service manual in the car, guess they never figured it out lol!

awesome dude.

Oh, and you should be good to go to sign in at z31p. you won't have received an email about it cause Jason had to activate you manually.

check your junk box for emails from 'roasttchicken@gmail.com', that's the address z31p uses for its communication emails.