HybridZ

Pro1 215s ROCK!

John Scott

Grumpyvette, you weren't kidding when you said the 215 pro!s had more potential when ported by an experienced professional. Got my numbers off the flow bench today. Measured at 28"

Intake: Exhaust:

200=136 113.5

300=197 160

400=253 196.6

500=287 217

600=301!!! 227

Note the exhaust to intake ratios: .8-.75. I was hoping for around 290 cfm on the intake. After the final clean up they should flow around 305cfm at just under .600 lift.

Made my day!! Now we can pick the final cam profile.

JS

I'm still going for a pretty healthy cam. Since the high lift flow is so good we'll probably keep it slightly below .600. (300 cfm was seen with a 585 lift) To take advantage of the top end flow high 240s. Maybe a 4 degree duration spread. A safe 7000rpm. Can't wait for the dyno test. First trial assembly next week.

JS

Last time I went in, Brett Bower had no fewer than five cam company's master catalogs out studying lobe profiles for my heads. No decision by the time I left. When I started this project, I went to Bower's Racing engines, armed with the AFR catalog, 500 hp tests, etc. and said I want these heads. He said AFRs are a fantastic head, out of the box. Sure we can run what ever you want. AFR also has a very effective ad campaign. He claimed the new 215 Pro 1s are very similar to the 190 AFRs runner cross section, but had a much greater flow potential through out the lift range, when ported. Add in a spring upgrade to the 195s or see how much a 290- 300 cfm AFR will cost. The 195s were perfect for low/ mid lift #s, but really fell short after 500 lift. Any AFR close to 290cfm was way too big for my application. Bowers racing really caters to drag racers, but he enjoys working on any make model or application. Its cool to see exotic $10K heads, Pro mod engines, sitting right next to your streeter, getting the same attention.

JS

Guest Anonymous

Nice flow number on those heads, how much do a port job like that cost and were the runner enlarge to achieve those numbers. Jegs advertise Dart Pro1 that are CNC ported for about $2200.00

that have similar numbers with a 227 runner? not sure about the valve size.

Guest needwaymorespeed

WOW thats awesome flow #s!!!

All i ever hear about is afr afr-nice to see someone doing different heads. Whos doing the work for you?? Ive been thinking about those heads and having mike stark at cfm port them for me.

Have you picked out youre cam yet?

Cant wait to hear about the dyno session!

Congrats

Curtis

Price? My engine is a package deal, but I originally wanted to stay in the range of the 195 AFRs with spring upgrade. I won't be that much over. He gets bare heads and machines them to his specs, so price can be competitive. We're using a 2.05 intake. I don't think the runners were changed that much. Just the right places. Brett said the same thing the other day, about the 215s ability to flow just under the 230's @ .600. But said the 230 makes up for it in the low lift range. Says he loves the Darts because they are so responsive to port work. I'm sure 18 or so years experience porting heads doesn't hurt either. He recently tested the Dart CNCs, well into the 300 cfms, and was really impressed. Outflowed his port jobs on earlier model heads with same runner size. Had a few clients switch to the cncs this year. Again, The 227 cncs were too big for what I had in mind.I believe they use a 2.08/ 160. I wanted a small runner high flowing head to maintain velocity.

JS