HybridZ

saggy rear

HICKL

Hey guys, I am new to the Z scene. Just bought a 76 28o. The rear end sags as I have noticed a lot of older Zs do. When I take off or hit second gear it feels like the muffler will hit the ground. Whats the best (reasonably cost effective way) to fix this. Are the struts shot or is this normal. Please help. I need it to handle pretty decent, plan to eventually drop in V8.

Thanks

Quickest and easiest would be to get a set of new coils (oem style) from MSA or Victoria British, and more than likely a new set of shocks. However, if you plan to go V8 eventually, you might want to consider a coil over conversion now.

Thant will give the option of setting ride height and choosing spring rates (helpful once you do the swap, because the power of the V8 will make it squat more on hard take offs). It is more expensive now, but in the long run it will be a better option IMO.

Mike's website has some pretty good deals: fonebooth.com

Tim

Thanks for the info, can you buy stiffer springs without going to the coilover system. I have heard people talk about spacers in the coil springs. I am not ready to spend the coilover money, but I want to raise the back. Are there any other options???

"spacers in the coil springs"

Coil spacers of the typical cheap variety are not the safest of items and I don't reccomend them as they only increase stress on the unspaced portion of the spring which we know is weak already (in your case with weak/sagging springs)...if your assembly bottoms then stress is sent to other items not intended to take this stress (like your old/likely cracked and dried out bumpstops). Sounds like eventually you'll need the stiffer springs available for coilover setups but don't have the cash right now. Your struts are more than likely shot as well. Do you realize you can just do your rear coilovers for about $210 I'll have them on your doorstep by week's end? (& then fronts anytime later) If it'll be a ways off until you want to spend the dough on coilovers, I'd reccomend any decently new cheap struts with the best set of rear 2+2 springs (ie. low miles used car or whatever deal you can come across) to get you by. But as you see it doesn't take long for 'short-term' money to add up and for one to perhaps prefer it were spent against long term solutions. You may find a local coil spring manufacturer as they're quite common, perhaps one will offer to make a set of stiffer springs for you. One option if you can fit them is the TRW rear springs for $55US/pair intended for a 280ZX and substantially stiffer in a friendly progressive rate than stock. I recall a JTR mod is 280ZX springs as Scottie used to run. Try and do struts at same time or springs will fatigue quickly. The struts I'd rec'd to suit your purpose are Tokico's at $75@ if you scare up some extra coin.

Good Luck. cheers.gif

Originally posted by HICKL:

Are we talkin $210.00 total for both sides

Yes, one full set (4 corners) is typically twice that so I can set you up with one pair (ie. rears) for the above $. Some grinding of your rear spring perch is required for maximum adjustment but it's easily done, no welding required. All top-notch components, billet aluminum pieces and the usual powder coated springs chosen to suit your ride and expectations. Drop me an email personally to discuss further details (URL below)

Nothing different needed for the swap in comparision to OEM parts except you don't need a spring compressor to install the coilover springs.

Illumina==a model of strut cartridge manufactured by the Tokico(sp?) corporation-kinda pricey, but has adjustable valving so you can adjust your ride quality.

Boge==Another manufacturer of struts/shocks; but I couldn't tell you much about quality or what they have to offer