HybridZ

i've got good news

biohzrd

Bio...

Sounds good, however, is that fuel formulated for CA? CA gets a special blend that no other state gets. Also, the sulfur in the fuel would create SOx (oxides of sulfur, SO2, SO3 etc)as a combusion byproduct, and that is not really one of the pollutants of concern for mobile sources (at least small spark combustion engines), Rather NOx, CO and Hydrocarbons. If the new formula is only a function of Sulfur content, then I doubt that it will be much help out here. Also, another concern that CARB has is fugitive hydrocarbon emissions from the crankcase (hense the introduction of the PCV valve many years ago) and from the fuel system (breathing losses), hense the use of vapour canisters and the like.

Hopefully I am wrong, but.............

Tim

Guest greimann

Sounds interesting but I'll bet it will be a few years until it is marketable??

In the meantime, to give yourself some insurance at the smog test, add ethanol to your tank to get a 10% to 15% mix just before your smog check. After the test, fill up with regular gas to get the ethanol concentration down so it doesn't do long term damage. This stuff is typically marketed as a fuel dryer. One brand I know of is HEET. It has worked for me!

i don't know very much about that type of stuff. he did tell me that the newer fuel will have a higher octane characteristic to it. in the future they may do away with 87oct altogether. the fuel is supposed to be cleaner burning overall. in fact the goverment is so impressed with it that they are putting up a fairly large chunk of change to help it along. if it means anything the new unit is named "california" . they hope to have it up and running by the summer of 2005. it may seem like a long time but having worked in these plants and seeing the size this thing is going to be, thats a pretty amazing goal. this one overall section is going to cost an estimated 4.6 billion bucks and is going to cover an area of 112 acres.

Most of what I have learned about cat convertors says that the platinum in the cat when at normal operating tempurature is to burn off some sulfer, but mostly to burn off any unburned fuel(hydrocarbons).I doubt they will ever do away with cats completely. MO

Guest Anonymous

I guess that special 'Cal. formula gas' is why they get off charging 60-70 cents a gallon more than when I was in Tempe. Premium there at a name brand station no less was 1.10, am/pm's and such about a buck, today I see they're getting 1.69 at a shell station by my house in W. Sacto.

I guess the extra additives cost more dough, because it makes no sense to me to go farther inland away from where the oil is delivered and pay less money for it.

Wish they'd get into alternate fuels like ethanol instead of waiting for the last drop in Saudi Arabia to pump out, then we'd have some fun and let the C/ratio fly. :D

Regards,

Lone

thats right all you people that are cursed by the sniffer for CARB i have good news. my father in law works for exxon/mobile here in baton rouge and said he has some updates on a new fuel. he is in charge of building a new unit here at the chem. plant for a new no sulfer gasoline. this means that the gases coming out of the exhaust will be less harmful b/c of the lack of sulfer. this also means that there will no longer be a need for a cat in you exaust. it's primary purpose is to act as a "scrubber" so to speak to eleiminat the sulfer out of the exhaust. this is why when moisture collects in them they smell like rotten eggs. he says it should bring do the emissions on a normal car by about 35% to 40%. hope this helps out all ya'll out west pass the sniffer 2thumbs.gif