HybridZ

painless wiring

Guest 400 ci 280z

Guest 400 ci 280z

i am thinking about useing the painless wiring harness. my stock wiring is not that bad, but i think i should up grade it and get new wiring. any suggestions?

Guest 400 ci 280z

the price is abig deal with me so i will most likly try to use the stock harness and change the fuse box. puke.gif dan i also like the little puker

Guest bang847

i think the fuse box will probably gonna be fine.. it is the harness you gotta be careful about... I got a painless kit too but I wish i never got it... anyways. right after i bought off of ebay a box filled with wires weighing 45lbs for only 15 bucks... also i bought a book on cleareance from kragen for $1 on how to do you own custom wiring... if i were you id stay away from the painless.. if you still want it save your self the money and get the simplest kit like the 8 circut hotrod kit everything else you can add on yourself..

hey i used the kragen fuse boxes myself, i run four of them on the car, with one in the engine bay that runs everything from firewall forward, with lots of switches hidden in various places.

i spent about 10.00 to wire up my entire car, i have about 50 miles of driving on this new wiring with no issues yet, but it took a long time to do it, painless probably easier, or you could go to the junkyard and grab just about any fusebox and make it work. i have one from a 84 300zx that looks dang good./

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 400 ci 280z

i went back a noticed that some of the wires are totally trashed so i was going to ask the people who have used the "painless" harness what problems did you run into? did you cut the connecters off the origanal harness and use those or did you just change the ones on the dash gauges? also which kit should i get or should i just make my own?

thanks,

chris

I wired my car with the 18 circuit Painless kit and it worked out really well. You could probably do it with fewer circuits but it depends on your options.

Anyway, I mounted the fuse box on the left (drivers) kick panel just above the dead pedal. I then strung the wires out from there. And yes, for some things you can cut off the old connector or harness. For instance, I cut off the old steering column harness and spliced it to the new one.

Ron Francis also makes some really nice wiring kits.

BTW, don't believe the "Painless" part. Doesn't matter if you use a, or do it yourself - rewiring a car is a pain. shifty.gif