HybridZ

MAX POWER

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Im looking for a way to get as much power out of my 74 260Z as possible. Im not sure which way to go on this though. Should I keep the stock motor on it and buy little things like headers and other small power adders? Should I put a 280 turbo motor and transmission in it? Im not sure if I can have a turbo put on my car since it is carborated. Should I put like a chevy 350 in it with a five speed transmission? Does anyone have any other good ideas or tips on how to get more power out of it? Thanks A lot.

Turbocharging is the way to maximum power, no matter what engine you use. Build a V8, and turbocharge it - that is how to get maximum power. If you are a bit more modest rolleyesg.gif get a lowly GN V6 like Scottie-GNZ - I think he's only making 500 or so hp. Otherwise fit in a 2JZ-GTE or a RB26DETT - both turbo engines make SICK power.

Cubic inches will probably always be the cheapest way to get more horespower, throw a turbo on top of that and prepare to rupture your adrenaline gland. Anything much over 200 HP or so will require frame reinforcement though, at least if you ever want to open your doors again....As light as these cars are, I'm guessing that anything over about 500 HP would be a waste, reducing your tires to molten globs of smelly pooh. Probably the easiest swap to do would be the standard domestic (Chevy, Ford,or Dodge) V-8 with a 4 barrel carb. This will give you anywhere from 200 to 400+ HP depending on what equipment you use, and will only be a little heavier than the stock I-6 engine.

"Im looking for a way to get as much power out of my 74 260Z as possible."

Do you have a # range or performance target you're shooting for? Your top statement could mean 1000hp or 300hp and the answers differ greatly.....knowing what you want it to accomplish (ie. a 4 second 0-60, or a honduh killah, or a 1320 goal etc....) helps others give specific feedback. Any budget considerations are useful as well.