HybridZ

240z with 280zx 5-speed - Clutch not disengaging.

Nortok240z

Hello everyone,

I have swapped an '81 turbo motor into my '72 240Z. I used a 2+2 flywheel and a 5-speed from a non-turbo 280ZX.

My problem is the clutch will not disengage. I can't put the car into any gear other than 5th while running. The transmission shifts fine when the car is not running.

I have bled the hydraulic system multiple times and am sure there is no air in the line. I have gone back and looked at the part numbers for the clutch kit and collar I used.

The Clutch kit is from LUK Performance. PN 06-906

The TOB Collar is Nissan PN 30501-K0404

The Slave cylinder has been changed to a 280ZX self adjusting unit. The slave cylinder rod moves about .5 - .75 inches when depressed. The rod does seem to be extended pretty far just to meet the fork.

Going back and looking at the clutch kit, it seems to be for a 280ZX turbo not a 280ZX 2+2. Is this the problem since I do not have the turbo transmission?

Do I need to purchase a new clutch kit for the 2+2? Are any of the parts interchangable between the two? Or, is it just a case of the TOB Collar being to short?

Thanks,

Kevin

:flamedevi You may have the wrong collar needed for that transmission. The 280ZX transmissan, I have in the car now, has a centerforce 1 clutch in it and required a longer collar. You may need to replace it with a longer or shorter one, if everything else checks out. Take a measurement and let us know what you have. Have you put the the two clutch systems side by side to see if it is taller or shorter then the one you are replacing (I have at least four different sizes in the garage)? The collar does come in a lot of different sizes. Also look at the pushrod length, it can be made longer if needed. Good Luck, Rich. :burnout: Edited by RedNeckZ
more info

Thanks for the help RedNeckZ!

I have fixed it!

The hole on the clutch peddle where the the master cylinder rod connects was very oval shaped. I filled it in with the welder and drilled a new hole.

Then I set the peddle to the correct height and adjusted the master cylinder rod length with the proper amount of free play.

Now it shifts into reverse with no grinding at all!

Just for reference, the TOB Collar PN 30501-K0404 is 24mm. According to another post I found, this is the correct height for a 2+2 non turbo.

Also, the only difference between Luk Clutch kit PN 06-906 and 06-901 is that 06-901 includes a collar and 06-906 does not. You have to reuse your old one or buy a new one.

Thanks,

Kevin