HybridZ

Ignition timing during decel/over-run for faster corners!!??

So I've been doing some research on ignition timing..

In order to improve engine braking performance.. normally the timing is advanced..

then it dawned on me.. if I had a track car... it seems I should retard my ignition timing during high vacuum and low throttle to reduce the amount of engine braking and keep those hot exhaust gases flowing to keep the turbocharger spooling at high speeds?!?

I can see on a road car this would be a bad idea.. and lots of unwanted exhaust burping and excess fuel burning... do people use this approach on track cars?!

or am I straight trippin yo? ;)

Well.. i dunno if shutting off fuel would help keeping the turbo RPM's up.. and shutting off fuel reduces the combustion pressure and doesnt help in engine braking from my understanding.

plus you dont get to shoot flames =)

Im just sooo curious to see what F1 cars and true true race cars use during decel.. hurrmm

*edit* Anti-lag is a littttllleee bit different.. WRC cars have an auxiliary air valve that feeds into the exhaust along with *negative* timing and lots of fuel.. but that KILLS the turbocharger after a few races.

Well using Megasquirt I have my rev limiter set at 6,500 RPM for safety.. and its hitting a brick wall lol

I have the option to kill the fuel, spark or both.. since I like loud bangs and fun exhaust notes I only cut the ignition which allows me to virtually flat shift keeping the turbo in full fury

=P