HybridZ

280zx rear axle swap

dear all,

I have searched the site hundreds of times and have only found the Japanese guy Takun doing a s13 rear axle swap on a 280zx. If I'm not wrong I think 260det has also done something like that but cant seem to find a step by step illustration on the whole swap.

I am currently running a RB31DET in my s130(280zx) it pushed 450whp and a fully build 280zx rear axle with poly and solid bushes. MLSD R200 long nose and a nice customed suspenssion set up. She runs great but I think she can do more with a R32 skyline rear axle swap.

My first question is; is the swap worth it? I do track/autoX/daily drive my car very often. I think there is more to be had from this chassis after I carried out a full S14 front suspenssion swap including adjustable lower arms. I have found that my car has much better mechanical grip and highspeed stability after doing the swap. Shouldn't a r32/s14/s13 rear axle swap improve my ride and handling?

My second question is, are there documented step by step pictures taken to carry out this swap?? If yet pls give them to me. I have also seen the Japanese guy butcher up his rear shock tower mounts. I do not want to do that.

Pls advice.

Kevin Kong

Malaysia

016 230 4888

The thing is I can say definately that a S14 rear end will fit but it takes a lot of engineering and fabrication to do. Its not the sort of thing to provide 'step by step' instructions on because anyone who wants to undertake such work needs to have the skills anyway, particularly as vehicle safety is involved. If they do have the necessary skills it will be relatively easy for them to work out how they want to do it. Which could well be different to the way mine was done.

And its not just a matter of just locating the suspension cradle securely either, a knowledge of suspension dynamics such as anti squat is also required. In addition to that mine required custom suspension damper assemblies the specifications of which I had to calculate and provide the builder with. So its about as far from a 'step by step' job as you can get.

Given the sheer volume of work involved and particularly when considering the safety angle I decided not to take detailed pics or make notes as I went. I'm doing this post to make my attitude clear to anyone who does a proper search, no responses to PM's etc, this is it. Although it may help if I say its possible to do the conversion using basically the existing 280ZX structure for the back two mounts with some extra reinforcing required for the front two. But not a lot, fairly straight forward.

One thing you do know now is that the S14 rear end will fit and will work very well, if properly done. Thats a whole lot more than I knew before doing mine :) One extra bit of info, with rolled lips 9 inch wheels will fit under the rear guards, perhaps 9.5" depending on coilover clearance and the tyres used.

And Zmonster, have you done a write up on your S14 front end swap? Others will be interested for sure.

Dear 260det,

I did not document my S14 swap. quite straight forward that one. i can however take a picture and post it up on the net though...

260det.... i know i can do the swap... i am technically sound in doing it.. i just do not want to chop up my strut tower and i was looking for picutes of your swap as a form of referance. ....

did the swap make a huge difference in handling? was the trouble worth it? or are the gains very minimal and i would be better off keeping my stock rear crossmember.