HybridZ

Molding headlight covers - problems with moisture?

zeeboost

• 2 weeks later...

They finally evaluated the idea with the dowel pins, and decided against it. They told me I can do it myself, but if anything happened to it, they wouldn't warranty any of the damages. They're worried that the cover will be under quite a bit of stress when installed, or when removing it from the bucket, and would most likely crack the paint on the cover, as well as potentially scratch the paint in the bucket (from the dowels when trying to line up the holes). So, I'm trying to think outside the box a little bit and try to figure out a different way to mount them up.

This may sound kind of odd, but I'm thinking I might be able to mount a couple of hinges on the top inside of the bucket (where the bucket to hood area). Then on the opposite corner (inside of the bucket, in the area where it meets the fender) have a couple of dowel pins that drop down into their corresponding holes, trim a part of the dowel to be thinner than the rest (hourglass shape), and use a small curved clip to slide around the thin portion of the dowl and hold it in place while snugging up against the underside of the headlight bucket. So, to get access to the inside of the bucket, just remove the two small clips underneath, and the cover should hinge open (reminds me of a gullwing door, if that helps). Lol, sounds like a really elaborate way to mount up a couple of covers, but I guess that's the price you pay to be different.

Another thing, that I can't quite grasp how exactly it would work, would be to have the dowl pins sticking out from headlight bucket, and have something attached to the cover that could latch around the pin. Also, I don't know if there are any push/release latches out there, so when I push on the cover, it'll latch, push on it again, and it'll release. I know my old pantry had one :-) , but I don't know if there's anything similar to and smaller than that.