HybridZ

balancer into trigger wheel

Texlenin

Moby, Matt, et all;

My first posting as a noob, so be gentle. Bessie the Wonder Z has a

83 longblock as her second heart. It's crankpulley has a large flange behind

the second (inner pulley). Could (or has) anyone tried to have teeth cut into this in leau of adding a separate wheel? I have no idea where this motor came from; I got it off of Jerry DeBenitto's(sic?) yard outta Fort Worth. I also don't know if it was originally T or N/A.....

I did a forum search week before last using "harmonic balancer" as the keyword

and found nothing related. To be honest, in all the pics I've seen here, I don't recall seeing quite the same set-up, but Bessie's like that. Thanks in advance

for any help anybody can give.....

the crank pulley/balencer was off of a 82/83 turbo engine.81 turbo had a 90 tooth wheelwith a vr sensor-actually 2 sensors in 1.and yes you could machine teeth into the wheel.see 1 of my posts about 4 pages back in this forum.i cut 60 teeth (every 2nd and 3rd) out of a 81zxt balencer and mounted a cherry gear tooth sensor on a tab i welded on the a/c ideler pulley bracket.i took out 1 tooth at tdc.there is an excel file somewhere on ms website on how to enter the info for the # of teeth you have.i used the 3 leds to fire chevy lsx coils in a waste spark set up.i always try to use the minimum amount of parts to get the job done.i dont remember if the 82/83 pulley with the disc had the disc bolted to a non-rubberized part of the pulley-you wouldnt want it to slip.the 81 disc is and has a locator pin.there are many ways to get a ms system to work.even though i used to be a ford dealer tech i didnt want the extra outside edis module of the edis ign system and the extra wiring.

Thanks Randy!

Couple of extra ?'s You say your zxt already had teeth on it? Mine is simply a rounded disk- something different/weird? Aren't all the damper/pulley rigs using a keyway?

That was one of my worries- having the whole thing slip in time. I like to use the smallest # of parts as well- but at this point, MSnS/EDIS would STILL be less wiring and less problem than Bessie has now with stock components/wiring. I would like to be able to have her as a DD again someday.....

The 81 turbo balancer has a seperate toothed wheel bolted to it. The 82-83 has the soldi disc like you describe and it is not removeable. I also converted mine over using the 81 disc machined down to mimic a GM shutter wheel. I am using a FAST computer originally designed for a grand national with waste spark. back int he day I built this the FAST had just came out for the grand nationals. The Accel DFI at the time also had GN options available, but those were my only choices since I wanted a waste spark ignition. The wideband of the FAST sealed the deal for me. I am in Arlington, PM me if you want to come over for ideas.