HybridZ

Timing the motor...

jacob80

Hey guys,

Just wondering if you could walk me through timing the motor. I'm going by mobys write up and assuming the most advance i'll need is 45 degrees, not sure how to expect this number but i'll go with it, play 5 degrees of trigger so 50 degrees. To my understanding, I set the motor to TDC, then crank it back 50 degrees. Then, I'll turn the distributor until the ignition light on the ECU lights up and lock it down. Now I am assuming I won't have to touch the disctirbutor at all from here correct? Ok so next, somehow I have to make sure/sync the computer with the timing tab using a timing lights and when they match at idle its done then, correct? Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm slowly but surely leaning all this. Any help would be greatly greatly appreciated.

MS1 V3.0

Stock oil pan to valve cover

Stock turbo

Front Mount

42 lb 440cc bosch injectors

That sounds correct. Once you get dizzy locked down near the correct area you can go to the timing light and make the final adjustments in megatune to the trigger angle. That will make the timing in your spark table match the timing light.

Wait, you dont fine tune the trigger angle, right? I though you set your trigger angle to ~50 (45 degrees maximum advance plus 5 degrees of trigger). I read in your write up that you have someone crank the motor and you look for 5 degree btdc (which is what I will set my cranking angle at) and if the timing light doesnt agree you makes adjustments in megatune somewhere, does this sound right? Where within megatune do you make the fine adjustments?

Additionally, when you set your trigger angle and sync it with the distributor physically, wouldn't it thrwow everything off if you changed the trigger angle inside megatune to anything but 50 degrees for your trigger angle? There has to be another input to sync the physical timing to the

timing in megatune