HybridZ

'75 future turbo project

Hey all. I just picked up this Z tonight. I got a smokin' deal on her and am quite pleased with my purchase. I can't drive it till next week when it's registered though :(

Anyways, it's a '75 so I'm good for not having to deal with emissions and whatnot. It's stock for the most part but it does have a MSA body kit which I don't really want. If anyone local wants to make an offer and pick it up, shoot me a pm.

Here's the goods:

Interior: New upholstered seats, new premium carpet kit in the box, new steering wheel, new half dash cap, MSA armrest w/cupholder, new window felt and regulators and a couple of 5 1/2's in the back.

Engine: Rebuilt ZX engine, newer hoses, plugs etc. 6-1 ceramic headers

Suspension: Tokico springs, not sure on the struts, new tie rod bushings. I need to check the other bushings but it feels great! Nice and tight :mrgreen:

Exterior: It needs attention. There is almost no rust in the entire car. Floor pans, rockers, frame rails all straight.

It's a great car. Needs a tuneup since it's sputters under heavy throttle but the old cat isn't helping matters either. I"ll be updating as I go.

• 4 weeks later...

Update: Still haven't gotten the car registered. I ended up getting the '78 clay bared and that cost some pretty pennies but I think I can this coming tuesday! And if all goes according to my evil scheme, I should have the body kit off next weekend :flamedevi

To be continued...

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys. Got some good news and some bad news. Good news is that I got that damn body kit off save the bumper. Looks ten times better! I'll get some pictures up soon. Been busy over here with midterms and such. Bad news is that the Z is running horrible. Its been stuttering since I bought it and I thought it might improve once I started driving it since it hadn't been driven much the past year and a half. Scratch that theory! The timing was off so I brought it to where it should be and then adjusted the idle speed to 800rpms. Sounds great when idling but give it gas and it just sputters and sometimes dies. So I played around with the air intake and replaced a lovely black air filter but still a no go. I'm taking it to Precision Z up in Canoga Park so they can diagnose the problem. I also have a lovely clunk when reversing so that's been fun to deal with in parking lots! Haha. I'll keep you guys updated.

• 2 weeks later...

Small update guys. I got my oil pan and front diff seals replaced because I was leaking oil all over the place:icon45: So, that's done, the car is also running great. Tune ups do wonders haha. I have a small clip of the current exhaust on the car and am hoping to get the twice pipes on tomorrow morning and maybe head down to Corona for the Empire Z car show. Anywho, here's the clip.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys. So I've been working on the floors today and have gotten a lot done. I still need to grind both sides and paint but thought I'd put up the progress pics from today.

I used 12 lbs of dry ice and I think I should have gotten 15 but it was enough for what I wanted to do. I am not doing the trans tunnel, hatch, or the rubber underneath the seats. I may change my mind and still have some time until I get the passenger floor welded. The PO jacked right through the floor *face palm*

Anywho, it really wasn't hard. More time consuming than anything.

downsize3.jpg

downsize1-3.jpg

downsize-2.jpg

downsize10.jpg

downsize11.jpg

downsize9.jpg

downsize12.jpg

downsize7.jpg

downsize4.jpg

downsize2.jpg

What I wasn't expecting, and I guess I should have, was that while I was whacking the floors, the undercoating underneath the car came off in certain places too. This car is my dd so there is no way I'm going to strip it all and do a rotisserie job like some members are currently undertaking. No thanks! Haha. I just went out and got some Duplicolor rubber undercoating and am going to spray the parts that came off. Its super clean underneath so I'm not worried. I was like, "OH CRAP!!!" when I saw it though. Be forewarned!

Did some more work today. Here are the results. 2 coats primer and 2 coats paint. I'm doing the rubber undercoating tomorrow on the underside of the floors.

I also did some sanding and painting of where the paint chipped and began to rust. I'm going to be getting some local quotes on a cheap sand and paint from an autobody shop. I need to get this thing one color haha.

downsize19.jpg

downsize18.jpg

downsize17.jpg

downsize16.jpg

downsize15.jpg

downsize14.jpg

downsize13.jpg

• 1 month later...

Not much to update guys. I'm doing sound deadening and speakers next weekend. There is finally some end to all this stupid rain!

I did get a new radiator since the Z decided it didn't like the old one.

downsize1-5.jpg

Took some pictures of me and my room mate's GTO. The Z is soo small! Haha

Enjoy!

0208102256.jpg

0208102256a.jpg

0208102256b.jpg

downsize2-1.jpg

downsize-3.jpg

Hey guys. I've gotten most of the interior sound deadening and carpet kit done. It was an intense job even with the precut kit from quietride.com The kit was very nice and went together smoothly. Took me and 2 friends a good 3-4 hours to get it all in. I don't have any pictures though :-( It was taking so long I completely forgot.

I'm finishing the stereo install today and will leave you with a sound clip, no video, of my Z.

Idling and some quick revs.

https://cubenet.ath.cx/temp/pub/Sounds/Cars/RafeZ.mp3

Me and my buddies Evo leaving our friend's house.

https://cubenet.ath.cx/temp/pub/Sounds/Cars/Leaving.mp3

• 3 months later...

Hey guys. So its been a few months since I've updated the page. I'm hoping to update it more regularly in the future but who knows...I'm kinda lazy when it comes to this.

Since February the car hasn't changed all that much due to the lack of funds and time. I have a set of 240 bumpers that I will be installing this month along with 240 turn signals and grill. I'm picking up the air dam in the next week or two from MSA and then need to either find pre-made brackets or make some of my own. I can't wait to get the type 2 airdam off :lol:

Other than that, I need new tires for the rear. I'm thinking about going all out with new 002's and tires but I'm unsure at the moment. I may just get new tires for the rear since the front are newish and put the money towards picking up another dd. I've finally realized what so many others have in that trying to dd a Z and work on it at the same time is just not feasible. Regardless it will be nice to have a backup car with four doors and a big trunk. I'll be picking up a MX63 Cressida ;)

I've been going to Cars and Coffee quite often in the last couple months so I'll leave you guys with some pictures. Cheers!

pic1-1.jpg

DSC01532.jpg

CnC215.jpg

CnC019.jpg

pic4.jpg

28233_111679078877028_1000010480848.jpg

Here's a pic from a recent meet I went to in Fountain Valley, Ca

28983_110018049043131_1000010480848.jpg

And one from a meet over in Moreno Valley

29506_419063641319_780276319_530002.jpg

Here's my rear bumper haha.

0525101921.jpg

Representing Ratsun.net B) Don't worry, Hybridz is on the other quarter window haha.

downsize7-1.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...