HybridZ

Hybrid Clock!

cygnusx1

240Z mechanism into a '75-'76 280Z dead clock.

Yesterday, I took a 240Z mechanical clock apart and got it all cleaned out, oiled, and keeping time. Today, I took out my broken electro-mechanical '76 280Z clock and gutted it. With some minor cutting and gluing, I was able to attatch the 240Z mechanism behind the face of the 280Z clock. So now my clock is a 76 with the mechanicals of an early 240Z clock. It looks just like the original 280Z clock but it ticks pretty loudly like the 240 clock. This is the first time in 20 years that I have had a working clock in my Z. It's about time.

Sorry I didn't take photos of the swap but if you want to try it, I can probably give you pointers (no not clock pointers). Fairly easy swap.

Tools:

Hacksaw, 8-32 nuts (3x), crazy glue, small screwdrivers, 75-76 280Z clock, a working 240Z clock, soldering iron, tiny metric screws(optional).

lol that's pretty cool man.

I'm lucky, in that my somewhat functional (but very slow) 78's clock actually has no problems! I took it out and opened it up to see if it was really dirty, but it was SPOTLESSLY CLEAN no gummy build up. SO, I decided to give the thing a spin, as fast as I could, for a good 3 minutes. After that it's been tickin away keeping perfect track of time for many months now.

How loudly does that thing tick? cause my clock makes a pretty noticeable tick when the car's off

The 77 and 78 clocks were probably the best of the bunch. The worst were the 75 and 76 clocks. I don't think any of those survived. Rumor has it that they are rebuildable by swapping out some electronicy things. Last time I tried that was in electrical lab in Engineering School about 18 years ago. It didn't work. The 240's are almost purely mechanical. I wish I could see the gears all the time. Maybe a clear face? LOL.

• 5 weeks later...