HybridZ

280z Lower Rear... fin?

shadowstyle2dx

I'm am interested in converting my 280z's bumpers to 240z slim bumpers but recently noticed that my 280 has a rear 'fin' below the taillights (but above the bumper).

I searched the site but could not find anything related. I also, could not find any pictures of anyone who has converted their bumpers and kept the 'fin', or whatever it's called.

When I convert my rear bumper should I leave it there? I noticed it's not bolted on and would need to be cut off - but I really don't want to have to re-paint my rear end as my paint is in excellent condition.

Does anyone have any pictures of what they did with this piece? Thanks

That piece just closes the gap between the body and the stock 280 bumpers. A 240 bumper is much closer to the body, so that "fin" is not needed. It may even interfere with the bumper positioning. Most just take it off, as many are not in great condition anyways.

agrees with ZR8ED.. i removed my bumpers from my 77 and had to grind off that "fin" mine was riveted to the body.. i think ihave pics on my profile somewhere of what it looks like now with home made bumper. i moved it in real snug to the body like the 240z bumper and that fin was just in the way.

9626_179308608624_797783624_3761843_1801059_n.jpg

unconventional, resourceful, say what you will but I took off the front bumper, and the silly absorbers, remounted the horns/electrical wires attached to the mounts and put the thin peice back on, bolted, then it moved a little to much so I zip tied for JDUM points, and then I used some old grill material I had, Looks tacky, but will be better when its lowered and put together correctly. You get the jist of it however.

For the rear, its not so bad. You drop the tank, take the bumpers off, blah blah blah, take out the rear wood to expose two bolts on each side to take off so that the absorbers will drop out, then you reach for your sheet metal, or bondo. whatever your weapon of choice is.

That wasnt what he was asking about but I have to say, you really need to remove that grill mesh... no matter what you do to the rest of the car, thatll still look bad...

Just drill out the spot welds on the find piece and itll come right off. As stated, the fin will pretty much cover the 240z bumper and/or interfere with it.

Thanks for the great replies. Hopefully will begin removing it when the new bumpers come in. Now I am not sure if I should re-paint and color match the rear when its finished or just repaint the whole car to my ideal color...

9626_179308608624_797783624_3761843_1801059_n.jpg

Yeah that mesh is a huge eye sore. Maybe paint the mesh black and mount it further back in the nose?