HybridZ

Undercoating removal - WTF have I gotten myself into

Oh its crazy easy with a air chisel.. it knocks off fairly large chunks at once.. just sucks the chisel is so small.

Seems to be more time consuming with a heat gun and scraping.. no thanks.. I dont want to stand there for 10 minutes heating and scrape away using a section the size of the chisel.

As for dry ice.. how large are the chunks that pop off?!

The toughest part is getting through all that nasty OIL that accumulated on top of the undercoating.. sticks everything together. The chunks are much smaller when covered and saturated in grimy oil.

Here is an idea how large the chunks are that pop off.

DSC07510.jpg

Not that it is any fun working with tools in the cold but being in Colorado in about one month you could open your garage door in the morning for a few hours. Then you will not need the dry ice only the hammer. I used the cold enviroment to my advantage on this process it definetly helps. Another option that is not very enviromentally frendly and is extreemly messy and smelly is soaking rags in diesel fuel and then let sit on the tough spots. Diesel will eat asphalt under coatings.

After all that hard work mine went to the bead blaster.

If you have those little bits that won't come off, take a propane torch to them until they start to bubble a bit, then let it cool and hit it with your wire wheel. Works on the bottom too.

Just use a puddy knife when they are still hot. :) Keeps the wire wheel from getting gunked up and they peel off like budda'.

Just use a puddy knife when they are still hot. :) Keeps the wire wheel from getting gunked up and they peel off like budda'.

Mine turned powdery and didn't gunk up the wheel at all. But mine is a 70 CA car, so that crap was a little older and exposed to more dry heat in it's life I guess...

Despite the mess it looks like I'm sure you will love it when its done. Please post pics of the frame rail and sub-frame connectors if you are installing them, I'm looking to do it in the near future and you seem to get some good photos with that rotisserie.

+1 for the heat gun and paint scraper method. I tried it out on the coating on the inside of one of the fenders, with the heat gun at about 900 degrees, it only takes a few moments to heat it enough to make it soft and easy. It made it so the project only lasted about 15 minutes!

yup heat from a propane torch, and i used a sharpened wood chisel, they are stiffer than putty knives, and can be bought in a set with different widths. ive done 2 cars now, and used por-15 on the second one and truck bed coating on the first, both being a good option for re-coating the bottom. with the both i used epoxy primer to seal the bottom first.

• 1 year later...