HybridZ

need help with gas guage on old pickup

tsumner

I just picked up my new pickup it's a 1975 chevy with only 27,000 miles .It has a problem with the gas guage, the needle is pegged at about 50% above the full mark .It does'nt move regardless of the amount of gas in the tank.

Can anyone help me with this ? Thanks Tom

Guest Anonymous

Tom, Find the sending unit and gas tank float and pull it from the top of the gas tank. It will be the one with the electric wire going to it.You may either have to unscrew or use a screw driver to to turn the pressure fit lock mechanisim. Pull it out and inspect it. Move the float up and down and observe the contact on the end of the float rod as it moves up and down on a graduated spiral wire windings board . This is the Area of "electrical resistance" that controls the gas gauge. Run a jumper wire from the electrical wire to the the sending unit and float assembly you will be holding in your hand while you look directly at the gas gauge. Move the float up and down and the gas gauge needle should follow in pursuit of that movement. If the contact point of the float does not touch the spiral windings adjust it to touch with a gentle touch. If the spiral windings are broke or damaged: You will have to replace sending unit. Also you must have a good ground to the float and sending unit when doing this test> which can be done by touching the top of the sending unit to a ground or grounded wire